Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Super Moderator
Thumbs down Right hand calling left hand... anyone there? - 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM

When I ordered my first Mini 10v I ended up with a fairly good impression of the Dell organisation, but how that has changed!

Early this month I received a ‘flyer’ in a computer magazine offering a Mini 10v with 2 months FREE Vodafone broadband for £199, but it proved impossible to enter this into their on-line ‘configurator’. After several frustrating ‘phone calls I was finally advised that this particular option was only available on the ‘Windows’ models, which started at £249.

On Monday 7th September I therefore decided to “bite the bullet” and ‘phoned up again to order one, hoping to obtain some sort of a discount, by way of apology for the misleading advertisement, and finally settled for just £5 off a fully equipped Mini 10v (better wireless card, Bluetooth, Red lid etc.) and of course the free Mobile Broadband offer!

I was quoted an estimated delivery date of 18th September, and my order quickly advanced through to ‘Production’ where it sat until Tuesday 15th, when the ‘estimated date’ suddenly changed to 5th October... no email, no ‘phone call... nothing!

An email to my so called Sales Representative asking him to call me produced no response whatsoever, but I did eventually receive an automated email the following day advising me that “Unfortunately, the demand for the product you have ordered has exceeded our forecast and we need to revise the estimated delivery date given when you placed the order.” I did try and call them again, to express my concern, but just received the usual bland apology.

However this morning, I was most surprised to receive an email, identical to the one I had received 10 days earlier confirming my order, but this time quoting a brand new order number. When I compared the two specifications however I noticed that the Item Number of the Dell 5530 wireless card had changed!

On checking on the progress of this new order I was most upset to read that it was now back in the pre-production stage, so with steam coming out of my ears, I telephoned Dell again and as politely as I could asked to speak to a supervisor. They did actually find one for me very quickly, and she explained that, yes I should have been contacted, but that they had to cancel my first order as they had been advised by their suppliers that one of the items on my order (obviously the 5530 card) was now ‘end of life’ and that a different one would now have to be used!

She obviously gathered that I was more than a bit upset, and did actually offer me a £20 refund, once I took delivery of my order. This was promptly confirmed by email, in which she assured me that she has rebooked my order ‘on priority’, although the estimated delivery date is still (currently) showing 5th October.

Later today I received a further ‘standard’ email informing me that my Order number had been changed, but “This is for administrative reasons only - and will not affect the order itself”… apart of course from a further 2 week delay, which was not of course mentioned!

What a way to run a Company! If it wasn’t for the fact that I do actually want a Mini 10v, I have decided not to try and cancel the order at this stage (probably virtually impossible anyway), but will now just let it ‘run its course.

I will of course post any further changes on here!

Thanks for listening!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM

Dell is notorious for this... there are a couple of threads on MDM sharing horror stories about Dell.

It is a good thing that I specifically wanted my Mini 9 and then my Mini 10v for Hackintosh purposes because I would have cancelled my order and taken my money elsewhere if it was not for that

To be honest, my Mini 10v order was much better than my Mini 9... and now Dell even offers FastTrack 10v, but it is the principle of the matter. Dell treats their customers like crap and does not even think a thing of it.

They always overpromise and underdeliver, which is something you should not do in any business. It is always better to underpromise and overdeliver (which makes the customer happier in the end) if you cannot accurately assess and analyze the situation and provide an accurate estimate.

Whatever. Dell does not seem to care and they change their shipping dates at will because of "supplier shortages" or "discontinued items" and whatnot... and do not be surprised to see the Mini sit "in production" for nearly 3 weeks

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Default 09-17-2009, 07:54 PM

I had problems with my Dell order but it turned up a weeks earlier than what they said.

How ever when one of my Dell's needed a repair they were great. (picked up the next day, e-mailed progress and re delivered in 6 days)

But when my son's Acer broke (only 2 weeks old and needed a new Mother board) I realized that Dell is not as bad as you think.

Acer put the phone down in my ear as I could not remember if I bought it on the 5th or the 6th. I had to arrange my own DHL it took 11 phone calls to get repair booked and it's been 3 weeks and its not back yet part is on back order (for the top selling netbook)

The dell is miles ahead on quality and my dell was cheaper than the Acer.

I wont complain about dell again.
  (#4) Old
Default 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Strange really! For their business customers I've noticed that if you have any queries etc you call either Ireland or the UK & it's all very professional - yet for the home users (no disrespect intended) you always end up routed to India where in my personal opinion the customer service is so robotic that you would be forgiven for thinking that you were talking to a preprogrammed robot.

I won't buy from Dell any more - I will buy Dell just not from them

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral
  (#5) Old
Default 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Montala, I Feel you pain! I got an email 2 days ago delaying my order for another 2 weeks. still don't feel to hard done by - you managed to get a pretty good deal on yours with all that bartering u did! wish i'd read ur post before cos i might've tried it! haha

Dell Mini 10v | 1GB | 160GB HDD | OSX 10.6.1 | NBM 0.8.3 RC2 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu Netbook Remix | 5530 WWAN Vodafone UK

« 6-Cell Battery | Ghost suite »