Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Maximising Your Screen Real-Estate - 09-16-2009, 01:24 AM

I'm wondering how people are maximising their screen real-estate. In other words, what software and configuration are you using to get the most out of your available screen real-estate.

I'll share with you all what I'm currently doing to maximise screen real-estate, but I'd also love to hear of any good ideas from others.

Windows 7

Firstly I'm running Windows 7, which has a fairly chunky taskbar which takes up 40 pixels of vertical space across the whole screen. Now, we have 3 options for dealing with this...
  1. Reduce the icon size of the taskbar to shrink it by about 14 or so pixels.
  2. Move the taskbar to either the left or right side of the screen.
  3. Set the taskbar to auto-hide.
Personally, I found option 3 to be the best. I find it most practical, and it saves me the most screen real-estate.
Windows Explorer
Windows explorer by default, displays the details and navigation panes. These both take up a fair bit of room. For that reason, you may want to consider toggling these panes off.

Web Browser

Moving on, web browsing is a major part of why I bought this laptop, so choice of browser was important. I normally use firefox on my desktop due to its feature set (and plugins), but firefox is not only a fairly resource hungry browser, it also uses up a lot of vertical space, not leaving much room for the actual web page. This is why I ended up settling with Google Chrome. Google Chrome uses the space in the title bar of the window for tabs, and doesn't have a status bar across the bottom of it - together giving me about an extra 70px of vertical space for viewing web pages. Google Chrome is also a very light and quick launching browser which is also a major bonus.

Microsoft Office

I'm also running the office suite of my Mini 10v, mainly just Word though. I've found the ribbon interface takes up a lot of vertical space which makes working with documents (especially lengthy ones) quite difficult. Luckily word allows you to minimise the ribbon bar. After doing so, accessing is still fairly easy and quick, but you'll find you don't need it all that much if you make use of word's little fly-out floating toolbar which you get after selecting some text.

So they're some of the software configurations I am currently running. Please post any screen real-estate optimisations you're using.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM

MAC OS X 10.5.8

This is an obvious one but.. the dock's now on the left hand side, instead of the bottom

« Samsung UM410 SSD - Should I Upgrade? | What the 10v is REALLY missing.. »