Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Desktop docks? - 09-15-2009, 02:19 AM

Well I've been using my 10v for a few weeks and I'm really surprised at how well it runs OSX, enough so that I kind of want to make it my main desktop and move my more powerful hackentosh to my TV room for what I originally built it for, a file and media server running Plex as the main front end.

Right now Ive got my mini hooked up to my keyboard/mouse (One of those new thin mac keyboards) and my LCD, but its kind of a messy setup and would be a pain to have to unhook everyday so I could take it to class with me.

Anyway, have any of you found a dock thats either specifically for the 10v or fits it that can do VGA, USB passthrough / hub, speaker and maybe power too? I've seen one that hooks to any generic netbook and provides a CD/DVD drive, cooling and a USB hub. Not really worried about cooling since it doesn't heat up that much on my desk.

Just wondering.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-15-2009, 03:37 AM

AFAIK, there isn't a dock made specifically for any of the Dell Netbooks. In fact, there's no connector for a dedicated dock.

There are a number of universal docks, Targus is the most available one (usually at best buy, staples, etc.). One of these is probably what you're looking for, but don't buy it from Targus, they are much cheaper elsewhere:

Targus ACP45US Universal Docking Station w/ Digital Audio
Targus ACP50US Universal Laptop Docking Station - with Video
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 10-21-2009, 03:48 PM

The Targus uni-docks work pretty well, we have a few here at work we used with Toshiba laptops. It's actually a little easier to dock than a port replicator being you just plug in one USB cable. The port replicators I've seen so many problems with not seating fully and no network connection, not coming up on external monitor etc etc etc.
  (#4) Old
Default 10-21-2009, 04:21 PM

Be aware that a USB dock will offer limited video performance.

I might just get a USB hub (possibly a powered USB hub, depending on what/how many peripherals you want) and connect the monitor via VGA. That's just two plugs to connect/disconnect.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« where to tap into 12 volt? | Solid state disk isn't 8GB or is it? »