Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 10v Video Performance - 09-15-2009, 02:00 AM

Hi All,

It seems video performance of the Dell Mini 10v is a fairly hot and important topic for a lot. I thought I'd start this thread to not only share some of my observations, but also to gather what other people have done to improve their video performance issues.

To start, here's the configuration I'm running on my stock Dell Mini 10v (with N280 CPU)...

Media Player: GOM Player
Using built-in codecs, "VMR9 renderless" video renderer, and have checked "Enabled Quick Play Mode". GOM player has also been configured to use coreAVC instead of the built-in h.264 codec.
Driver: (as per the directx diagnostic tool).

With this configuration, I'm able to play WMV and MPEG-4 1080p video. H.264 encoded videos however, I can only play smoothly up to 720p (without coreAVC, even 720p H.264 video is choppy). Another note, HD videos on youtube are generally very choppy. However if I download the video from youtube (mp4 file) and play it in GOM player, it's as smooth as butter (must be the built-in codec that flash player uses which causes the problem). So there's a little tip for you; by the way, I'm using flashgot to download the videos from youtube.

I'd really like to hear what other configurations people are running, and what sort of performance they're getting.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-15-2009, 05:10 AM

I cleaned up the startup processes on my mini, along with disabling indexing on the hard disk (120gb). I also downloaded the K-Lite codec pack, and my Youtube videos even in HD are not choppy whatsoever. Compared to when I first got the mini and pretty much a video of anything was choppy.

I'm running the default XP SP3 that came with it.

EDIT: Videos in HD I need to play in full screen to have no choppiness. (However sometimes I may see it lag just a tiny bit but not really noticeable)

One thing I noticed that was interesting, videos start to lag hardcore whenever I use the touchpad vertical scroll when watching a YouTube video.
  (#3) Old
Default 09-15-2009, 09:17 AM

I have the same choppy experience in Windows 7 RTM, but I was told that it's the only prob in Windows 7, not in Windows XP? Is there anything to do with the CPU?

« Won't start with external monitor | Replacement cover or mini 10 cover? »