Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Battery Power -> Screen Flicker - 09-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just received my Dell Mini 10V, but am having a weird issue. I experience the slightest screen flickering when the laptop is running on battery power. Absolutely perfect screen with the AC cord plugged in, but once unplugged, it has the slightest flicker.

I have OSX 10.5.8 installed, but I doubt that's the issue (tested in the BIOS settings screen, with the same results).

Has anybody else ran into this problem? Could this happen b/c I didn't let the battery charge for a full 12 hours (although I did wait for it to reach 100%)? Could it be due to me having a 6-cell battery instead of a 4-cell?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default 09-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Hmm. Have you tried running the 10v without a battery, only on AC? Also, what country are you in, since the power voltages and hertz differ in each country. Is the screen on full brightness, or lowest?

Dell Mini 10v | Product (RED) | Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix | 8GB Samsung MLC SSD | 1510 Wireless a/b/g/n Mini-Card | 6 Cell Battery | 1024x600 | UK Keyboard
Dell Streak | Black | Android 2.2 DJSteve 1.4.6 | 16GB Standard MicroSDHC | GiffGaff
  (#3) Old
Default 09-10-2009, 06:48 PM

I am having the same problem except my screen says the following "This battery could not be identified. This battery will not be charged" Then it shuts down. I can boot up all the way if I just connect it to ac with the battery removed but once I put the battery in, it will shut down. Anyone know whats going on?
  (#4) Old
Default 09-14-2009, 09:42 AM

excalibe and Trilvester's problems don't seem to be the same. I'd say Trilvester's problem is most likely to be a dead battery. If your 10v is new, get in touch with Dell and get it replaced.

excalibe, it sounds more like yours is something to do with the screen power. Because it only occurs when it's running on battery power, it's unlikely to be anything to do with your AC adaptor, country or voltage. It could be a fault with the power supply to the screen backlight or it may be a software problem. Does it happen on all screen brightnesses or, for example, only on one or two? In other words, does changing the screen brightness make any difference?

« Buy XP or Ubuntu? | Just Recieved My Dell Mini 10v! »