Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Won't Connect With NetGear Router - 09-08-2009, 04:58 AM

I'm so frustrated with my new Dell Mini 10v. I want to like this thing, but here's the problems. Maybe someone can help.

1. The Mini simply will not play nice with my NetGear router (it's a WGR614 v6). It usually gets an IP address and then all sites time out. I've tried changing channels on the router, disabled the security, upgraded the firmware. No go. Works fine with it wired. Works fine at other places with wi-fi.
  2. Dell says to go to their site and get updates. But I can't figure out how to determine which updates are already installed. I've been working with computers forever, but why is this eluding me? Is there some place to check for just the updates you need like Windows has?
Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

(#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 09-08-2009, 05:11 AM

I had a home-rolled router/wireless access point that used a Netgear PCI wireless card as the wireless interface, and I had all kinds of the problems with my Mini 9. I wonder if Broadcom doesn't like Netgear or vice-versa.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Default 09-08-2009, 05:14 AM

The searches I did seemed to indicate that the NetGear doesn't play well with the Mini's card. My friend's Linksys was lightning fast. I may have to just change out my router.
  (#4) Old
Default 09-08-2009, 06:40 AM

I use NetGear RangeMax wireless router G (it's the one with three antennas at the back) and have no issue what so ever. All I had to do was add my mini 10v's MAC address into the router's allowed device list and once setup the connection on mini 10v and enter the password it just works. Soon as I turn on the mini 10v it gets its IP right away and the connection is not only stable but also very fast - in fact little bit faster than missus' NC10 which is also very stable. I have the router sitting at the study room at the front of house and use our our netbooks at the family room which is the other end of the house through several double brick walls and doors...

« Mini 10v 500GB HDD and a 64GB OCZ miniPCI-Express SSD (SATA) | I must be sure. :) »