Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default OSX Already installed. Install XP to External HDD? - 08-25-2009, 05:00 AM

Ok, first a question thats been bugging me. Why do they still include install discs for a computer without a disc drive? They may as well have put XP on floppy, because i still cant use it.

Anyway, I already created an ISO of my XP SP3 disc and am mounting on a thumb drive now (whether it works or not is yet to be seen. I doubt it will because...well why would things go according to plan?). i have OS X installed on the internal drive. Now I know XP copies files over to the HD before starting the install.

If I have a thumb drive with a bootable iso on it (I wont, see above. sigh...), and I disable the internal drive, and hook up an external drive, will XP know what to do, or just get really confused, say there is no HD, and just give up?

Also, if I have an 8 GB SD card, can I install XP there from the flash drive? and if I can, will it actually boot from there and work? Will it be slow?

If none of this works, can I reinstall xp to the internal drive, ghost it to the external, then reinstall OSX to the internal. This is beyond a last resort solution as I really dont want to do it.

Also, I have been reading and searching for a few hours now. While I found a lot of information, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. If there is a thread that does answer the questions, please provide the link. No need to repost the answer, if it helps it is still much appreciated.

« xp + bluetooth dongle + headset = slow internet browsing ? | Targus case for 10/10v »