Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Display Tweaks for New Mini - 08-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Got my Mini 10v (Black / 6 cell / N-wireless) last week and thought I'd add a few pointers I found useful when setting up.

Overall, I really like the Mini and haven't really had any issues with processor speed or lack of memory (though i've been consciously not opening too many things at once before upgrading to 2GB... project for tonight!).

The only thing that does take some getting used to (coming from 1280 x 1024 desktop monitors and old 1280 x 800 laptop) is the resolution.

Width hasn't really been an issue on any websites, programmes or dialogues. However, the 600px height does leave many things feeling a bit cramped.

A few things to grab back valuable screen height:

• Full screen (F11) - many programmes have this and whilst browsing in Firefox is essential for some sites
  • Firefox Tab Bar - disable by default (i.e. so if you only have one tab open it doesn't show) - Options > Tabs > Uncheck "Always show the tab bar"
  • Firefox - Hide Menubar addon works really well as you don't really need it most of the time (and can be reopened clicking ALT).
  • Autohide Taskbar - Properties > Taskbar > Check "Auto-hide the taskbar". I prefer to have it visible all the time, but if you're mostly in the browser might be ok. (I've noticed this option may also screw up full screen in Firefox)
  • Display 96 DPI - This made the biggest difference in making XP look "normal". The default on my Mini was at 120 DPI, which meant icons and fonts were overly large. Setting to 96 DPI made a big difference. Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > General > DPI setting > Normal Size (96 DPI)
  • Advanced Appearance - You can tweak the height of various items under Control Panel > Display > Appearance > Advanced. Try altering item and font size values for some of the items in there to gain a bit more space here and there (e.g. Title bar, menu etc)

After a few days of using it, I got used to the smaller resolution but maximising the available height really makes the difference.

Anything else anyone's found?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm expecting delivery of my Mini 10v today, and I will certainly use these tips as needed.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by xgabriele View Post
Thanks for the tips! I'm expecting delivery of my Mini 10v today, and I will certainly use these tips as needed.
Has anyone found a way to decrease the DPI in Windows 7? It wont let me do it because i'm below the 600 pixel limit :@

Dell Studio 15 - Core 2 Duo 2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Bluray
Dell Mini 10v - Atom 1.6Ghz, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD
Dell Mini 10v - Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD
Dell Mini 10v - Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB RAM, 8GB SSD

display, height, resolution, tips

« need mac os-x os sytem, box set...does it have to come from apple? | 10V coming = Have Questions »