Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default 10v vs 9 - 08-14-2009, 12:49 AM

I'm wondering if anyone who has both worked w/ the 10v and the 9 can tell me if there's really a noticeable difference between the two with regards to... keyboard usage, I guess. Whether the 10v is easier to type with, esp. w/ the more ... normal ... layout.

Thanks for any thoughts.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-14-2009, 03:49 AM

Although I love my Mini 9, I do find it easier to type on my 10v. Both key size and placement are different on the 9, whereas the 10v's keyboard is a bit more standard. The 10v has an edge-to-edge keyboard that is about 92% of standard size. The Mini 9's keyboard is not edge-to-edge and is (I think) about 89% of standard size. Also, they moved some keys around and eliminated others totally on the 9. For example, the apostrophe/quotes key was moved to the bottom row (near the space bar), they halved the size of the right shift key, and the row of function keys at the top was eliminated totally. All of those changes can be annoying until you get used to them.

Here are some pics of the Mini 9's keyboard from ZDNet:

48 hours with a Dell Mini 9 netbook (the keyboard and battery) | The Apple Core |

Here's the Mini 10's keyboard as a point of comparison (it's virtually identical to the 10v's):

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 - A Review of the Dell Inspiron Mini 10

The apostrophe is back where it belongs and there is a (small) row of function keys at the top.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-15-2009, 04:38 AM

The Mini 10v is easier to type on and has a better keyboard layout IMO.

« Installing Ubuntu | Everything working but bluetooth.. »