Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default 10v is warped.. - 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Just wondering if anyone else's 10v is warped, or at least the bottom part. It won't sit flat on the desk and i'm thinking the heat from the hard drive might have something to do with it.. kind of annoying.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-13-2009, 11:05 PM

It shouldn't be. If you haven't opened it up and modified anything significant it should still be under warranty. Take it back and ask for a replacement!

Of course, first check both battery retainer clips - if they're not both home, the battery can sit slightly skew-whiff and this will make stop the 10v sitting flat on a table.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-14-2009, 06:06 AM

Thanks, i've checked the battery retainer clips and reseated the battery. I actually solved it, temporarily atleast, but placing two heavy books (anatomy and chemistry, i've finally found better uses for them!) on top of it for an afternoon. Although once it heats up again and I use it in bed on my lap, it seems to warp again. It's probably about 1/8" but when you use it on a flat surface (like a desk..) it is annoying.

I haven't opened it, and it should still be under warranty. I shudder to think of it going away but I might just have to.
Seems weird, no? I've never had a 'warped' laptop.
  (#4) Old
Default 12-27-2009, 04:05 AM

I have the same problem. First of all, my Dell Mini is BRAND NEW. I received it and the bottom does not sit flat on a surface, rather it "rocks" and one the back left and front right "bumpers" are not even.

To make matters worse, I spent well over 10 hours on the phone with Dell, being transferred repeatedly, disconnected and finally got a replacement after one month... and you know what? THE SAME EXACT THING on the replacement.

It's absolutely unacceptable that Dell puts out a product with such a ridiculously poor quality control problem. I now just put folded paper under the back bumper so it sits evenly.

While it's a nice little computer it's just a damn shame that it's not "perfect". Further, the customer service provided by Dell is insanely poor.

Your computer has not overheated causing the situation... it's Dell not paying attention to details.
  (#5) Old
Default 12-27-2009, 04:44 AM

Another approach: Get a 6-cell battery. Then you likely won't care if the case is flat on the bottom.
  (#6) Old
Default Apparently not so uncommon... - 12-27-2009, 09:31 PM

Mine is too... right side near edge rides just a smidgen high.

It's just Dell's poor crap quality! When I had the unit taken apart to install RAM, it sits perfectly flat, but once it was screwed back together, it was warped again. I tried loosening/tightening different screws, but no cigar!

The fix is some sand paper or nail file taken to one of the rubber feet!

I was tempted to return it, but the thought of going through India support hell (shudder... and not convinced another unit would be different), just sucked it up and kept it.

I've seen Fisher Price products have better quality!

BTW, I have 6 cell battery... not sure if that is a contributing factor.
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator
Default 12-28-2009, 04:52 PM

It is surprising just how many Dell Mini 10v owners (including me!) have complained about this very same problem.

If you do notice it within the first seven days it is probably best to ask for an immediate replacement, but I can understand that a lot of users will be reluctant to do this, once they have spent a lot of time 'tweaking' or 'hackintoshing' it to their own personal requirements.

It has been suggested sticking a small 'spacer' of some sort onto one of the offending feet, but at the end of the day I suppose it really comes down to how much it really annoys you, and whether you are prepared to accept it, or not.

If it is the later then it will have to go back... it is a manufacturing fault after all!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#8) Old
Default Bent 10v - 12-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Aren't the 10V models made with a plastic frame? Rather than the magnesium in most others.
  (#9) Old
Default 12-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Magnesium? Not in any of the Mini series...

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old
Default 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Magnesium? Not in any of the Mini series...

Mine is made from Unobtainium.

Mini 10v

« Remotely control my 10V for presentations? | Anyone bought dell's refurbished 10v? »