Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Question OS X / XP Dual Boot - 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM

(Ok, I think this is the right Place Now)

Right now I'm geting funds together to buy a Mini 10V, and have seen the very good guide and videos about dual boot OSX and Windows7. While I would like to do that, a work as a IT Engineer with mostly XP Machines and also I can't stretch to a Version of Win7 I would use (Ultimate) and buy a Mini.

So, is it possibile to do a OSX/XP dualboot, and if so any pointers, tips, guides, warnings, etc.

Thanks again
Edinburgh, Scotland

(#2) Old
Default 08-13-2009, 09:56 PM

OK, since nobody giving any hints I'll put up a idea or two.

I was watching the Youtube video(for the guy whose name has escaped me) and noticed that his boot manager is Windows Boot manager. As this is only on Vista or Windows 7, this is a no go option (unless somebody suggests otherwise).

So, first of all I thought about using XP's own boot manager -

Wellfirstly, I can'tfind anyone that has done this, so this could be a learing curve. Or me messing with the boot.ini could have some problems.

So there's option two -

Anyone familier with Linux should be used to this, and there is support out for it. Again, the people using it with OS X is limited so this may not work or be a bit complicated. And I'll need a seprate partision for it. SO this also has downsides.

SO, again and ideas, guides, tips or warnings would be appriciated

Thanks Again
Edinburgh, Scotland
  (#3) Old
Default 08-15-2009, 04:44 AM

One of the first parts of the OS X install has you partition the HDD. You would setup a Boot Manager partition ( 8mb ), an OS X partition, an XP partition and maybe a Data partition.

My friend made a custom OS X install from his MacBook and put it on an 8gb USB flash drive. Once OS X is installed, it uses the Darwin Bootloader.
  (#4) Old
Default 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Maybe boot from System Rescue CD (SystemRescueCd) and run gparted?

Mini 10v | 2gb Ram | 160gb HDD | BIOS A04 | OS X 10.6

dual boot, os x, win xp

« dual boot xp and OS-X????? | help installing os-x on mini10v..which os-x »