Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default AC cable connector hosed during RAM upgrade - 08-04-2009, 12:40 AM

Well I just went through and had a semi-successfull RAM upgrade on my 10v. I ran into only 1 snag and it may or may not be an issue (down the road) so I wanted to inquire what you guys thought. The entire thing was very easy and went smooth until I was unplugging the AC cable connector. I tried to grab it in the same place and pull where it showed in the video but it was just not budging. Trying 3 or 4 more times I ended up pulling the wires from the connector (CRAP!!!). So I wanted to get the little plastic connector end out to see if I could somehow get the wires back in it and that connector was almost like superglued into the other end. After several minutes of trying to gently get the connector out I ended up chewing the thing to hell with needle nose pliers to finally get it out. It essentially ripped off the top. ALL the other cables were super easy to undo. Not sure why this one was such a pain!

So now my heart sinks thinking I've screwed the entire thing... knowing I've got 4 AC wires (2 red and 2 black)... not knowing the order they are supposed to connect. Anyways I tried meticulously putting them back into the connector so I could connect it to the board after the upgrade and they eventually went back in and are somewhat snug but not very. I've got attached a picture so you can see what it looks like (and how awful it looks). I put the entire thing back together... turned it on and crossed my fingers and prayed that it worked. Everything seems fine. I plugged it in and crossed my fingers again... once again... everything is fine... shows that it is charging and shows all 2 gigs of RAM.

So now... look at the picture. Is this gonna cause me problems later on down the road? I'm gonna have to be careful not to jar it too hard (not that I would have wanted to jar it even with a good connector). It doesn't look like the cables would move much if any at all. Should I look for another connector and try and replace that? How hard is it with the right connector to reattach those wires? Will I have to replace the entire AC device (and how much would that run)?

First post here (wish it could have been better circumstances). Thanks for all the guides and assistance you guys have provided... so far I've upgraded the RAM and got OSX up and running.

(#2) Old
Default 08-04-2009, 09:55 AM

i would try to get some black electrical tape or something over the exposed metal.
  (#3) Old
Default 02-04-2010, 03:27 AM

Same thing happened to me, only worse.

There's no white plastic separating the four metal leads. I can't get them to stay in place.

Boots fine on battery power, but that's not going to last long!

Can someone point me in the right direction to get a new connector, to plug the leads into?

Tell me I'm not going to have to replace the entire power daughterboard.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Question 02-04-2010, 04:49 AM

not sure but maybe try this stuff called hot glue? then use electrical tape

PS: If all else fails there's always DUCT TAPE.....DUCT TAPE FIXES EVERYTHING (lol)

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old
Default 02-04-2010, 06:18 AM

I had a similar problem with the coin battery for the BIOS. Had to disconnect it from the system due to a BIOS lock up. The connector was fused and broke. I ended up soldering the battery leads to the motherboard.

If it happens again I'll put a switch in one lead and bring it to the outside.

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT

« USBs stop startup | Chrome OS on 10V - no go? »