Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Moving to Ubuntu 9.04? - 07-28-2009, 04:51 PM

I am LOVING my new Mini 10v and am beginning to get more and more familiar with Ubuntu (came with 8.04?). I am new Linux user.

I see some people have had some problems udgrading to 9.04 - particularly with the touchpad it seems. Being a noob with Ubuntu I am a littl nervous about trying to upgrade my older version. Any thoughts? Insights?

Perhaps I should become more nuanced with my version 8 before moving on?

(#2) Old
Default 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM

I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 years now.

i got two 10v's this afternoon, and I had to upgrade to 9.04 out of necessity within an hour as the "Dellbuntu" that it came shipped with for some reason had a problem with the synaptic package manager, or more specifically I think the plonkers at Dell have screwed a file in their repository because it was complaining about a blank line at the end of a file. sounds to me like a simple coding error. This problem completely screwed the synaptic making me unable to install any of the programs i need on the go.

Tried ringing them up to tell them and none of them had the faintest idea what i was talking about. One of them said "ok click Start....." *rolls eyes*

so i'm now running 9.04 with a working synaptics/aptitude (yay!) - BUT the internal mic doesn't seem to have been fixed and i've got to do the touchpad trick to sort out the jumping (boo!) as per another thread on the forum.

if you've not been using Ubuntu or linux very long i suggest you stick with "Dellbuntu" at least if you run into technical difficulty, they will be able to help you (well, at least you'd HOPE they can). if you install 9.04, you're on your own and you will have to deal with the internal mic and touchpad issues.

« Dell canada versus Dell US | Mini 10 Keyboard on 10v »