Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Advice please - 07-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Hey guys
I am very new to netbooks and I have been fascinated by how small it is and the convinience of carrying it around
I am sorta thinking of buying 10v and use it for school-
Do you guys think this is a good idea? I use external hard drive to store most of my stuff. SO in that case would I have to upgrade my hard drive? I have been reading posts about upgrading with 2gb and stuff. What is the disadvantage of NOT doing that? I am so computer illeterate sorry. I do not wanna have to deal with that simply because my parents are gonna ship it to a carribean island.
Other than that I just use the internet and Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel
Also VLC player to watch videos.
Dont really every use CDs or anything like that..

OH and, I DO need a wireless card- whatever it is that it is callled that lets you access wireless internet from anywhere that has a signal.

Please give me your insight if you have experience.
Or if you have better suggestions for me of a better netbook- I want to keep to to mostly dell though. Because I like dellls

Lemme know
  (#2) Old
Default 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Ok welll.. my basic question is

Will it work OK without a ram/harddrieve or any other sort of update? PLEASE answer I need to decide FAST!!!Realy appreaciate it
  (#3) Old
Default 07-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Yes, it will be fine. I don't know how well video playback works, but other than that everything you need is included in the basic model.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-19-2009, 02:28 PM

If you buy a 10v it will work fine without switching stuff out. The only negatives to this netbook is the touchpad which is oevrly sensative and I would suggest at a minimum uninstalling the drivers for it. And you might want to consider changing the wireless card, the current version seems to drop signals from time to time.

You don't have to do all the modifications that people list on this site that they have done to have it work properly.

Mini 10v, 270, 2GB, BCM92046 BT, Cheap 5300 knockoff wifi, 160GB, 6 cell, Win XP, Jade Green

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

John Wayne

« Get a new Mini 10v for $149! | Boot Camp in OSX »