Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the 10v - 07-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Has anyone successfully run the Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the Mini 10v? I currently have a Dell Mini 9 running OS X, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 10" netbook for the bigger keyboard. I've been looking around at a bunch, and while I'd love to stick with OS X, I want to have the Ubuntu Remix as a backup option. I've read that the Mini 10 is terrible with Ubuntu because of it's video chip.

Anyone give it a try yet?
  (#2) Old
Default 07-07-2009, 12:14 AM

Yeah I have Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 running on my 10v with XP and Back|Track. The install went perfectly with no problems at all, I used ext3 as my filesystem and just made two paritions for it: "/" as my root to hold all my files and boot files (alternately you can make a /boot parition but with triple booting I ran out of paritions, it's up to you) and a swap parition (2GBs for it is plenty). One thing to note is that when you first boot it up, it's gonna look weird with their desktop setup, you won't be able to use it hardly at all (some of the icons get covered up when you click on a new category). To fix that just switch it over to desktop mode and you can see everything just like the normal Ubuntu. It runs smoothly with no problems, boots quickly, and does great with managing resources and battery life. I would definitely recommend installing Ubuntu on there.
  (#3) Old
Default 07-07-2009, 01:04 PM

I am also running UNR on my mini 10v, I hated dell's version of ubuntu. But ubuntu netbook remix is really great for a small screen and I am actually enjoying the full screen features that was holding some people back. I did a normal clean install from a usb drive and I didnt run in any problems on startup like slayer. Everthing seams to work out of the box, I didnt try every single features, but so far so good.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the replies, I ordered my Dell Mini 10v last night from the outlet store, should be here this week!
  (#5) Old
Default Its not so bad - 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM

I've stuck with the 8.04 NBR and it seems ok. I had an issue with apt-get being broken but that was fixed with

cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
sudo rm libxcb-shape0.list
sudo apt-get --reinstall install libxcb-shape0

I then added universe and multiverse repositories and have had no issues since.

I'd be interested to know the tangible benefits from using 9.04 full/NBR over sticking with the Dell 8.04 NBR install?
  (#6) Old
Default 07-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Well for one, the dell 8.04 is not Netbook remix. It's just a slightly modified Dell version of Ubuntu with a desktop menu. 9.04 Netbook remix includes a unique GUI made for small screens. The main advantages are the title bar goes into the typical taskbar location and the menu takes the place of the desktop. Quite different, but perfectly suited to the mini IMHO. 9.04 can also used normal i386 deb files and has more software directly available. Plus it's a bit faster on ext4, from what I can tell. I also have less problems with wireless manager.(it doesn't wait like 8.04s did)

Try it out on a USB drive and see if you like it.
  (#7) Old
Default 10-04-2009, 11:10 PM

im getting the mini 10v soon and it comes with 8.04 standard edition..right not i installing unr onto my usb so i can boot from it or probly install it. has anyone had any issues with sound or mic after switching? also if i plug in my usb and click install will it erase everything on my harddrive and put on unr as a fresh install?
  (#8) Old
Default 10-04-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dtrust68 View Post
also if i plug in my usb and click install will it erase everything on my harddrive and put on unr as a fresh install?
Clicking "Install" should start a short install program, where you'll be presented with choices like "use entire drive, erasing previous OS", "shrink previous OS and use the newly freed space", etc.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« 12.5mm hard drive? | format flash drive »