Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Default 07-06-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by waywardsage View Post
Its not that. If I want to buy a netbook for surfing the NET i'd expect it to pretty much use all the net apps I use. Hulu, Youtube, Vimeo, and all the laundry list or normal websites.

If it did this without completely failing. I'd buy it right away. But, idon't want an ION based format to come out in two months and make my $350 to be in vain.
Thats undersandable. It runs all the sites you mentioned there with ease on an optimal setup.

The RAM was a need fer me because I'm guilty of using it as a little laptop, but, it can handle it and has honestly exceeded my expectations. You guys are right though, if you want a powerhouse get a full sized laptop or PC. But this little guy will shock you with what it can handle.

:: Dell Inspiron 1011 (10v) ::

::Intel Atom processor N270 1.6GHz, 533Mhz, 512K L2 Cache - 120GB, 2.5inch, 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive - Obsidian Black - Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam - 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell) - 10.1 Inch Widescreen Display::

2GB upgrade ofcourse
  (#12) Old
Default 07-06-2009, 09:01 PM

Hi there! So I did some checking with the system I have at hand which is a Mini 9 N270 processor and 2 GB of RAM (I have a Mini 10v N280 on its way). Most of the Internet stuff are ok except the Video sites you mentioned (Vimeo, Hulu, YouTube) where they play but from time to time can get just a little but jumpy (sometimes bad enough to make it unbearable). When I checked the Stats on the system while browsing/playing such places the processor was in average used at 90% while only 500 MB of memory was active. So my guess is the guilty fellow for your inconvenience here is the integrated Video Chip (aka GMA950). These little fellows were designed for mild computing processes on the go like mild word processing, mild excel and power point, mild browsing and emailing. Vimeo and Hulu are not considered mild browsing. BTW, I am under Mac OS X 10.5.7 not Windows.

(#13) Old
Default 07-06-2009, 10:03 PM

dunno if you guys have checked out ipulse from the iconfactory. i've used it on a g4 and macbook core two duo, and it works fine on both. gives quick and dirty process information in real time, as well as a graphic showing how much processor, memory, hd, network, etc throughput you have. really quite handy when you load up a system to see what it can handle. it's also not a resource hog.

i'll be ordering a 10v later in the week, n280, bt 160G hd, 6cell battery. i've decided to give it a week to see if they mark it down for 7/4 holiday or anything, and also hoping to improve my odds of getting the 600 display. not sure if i'm going to bother with the 1510 card or not. if anyone has input, i'd like to hear it.

i've been real happy with crossover, so if the machine will handle it, i think i'll just stick with that instead of dual boot. i've used parallels, etc, and they all suck.
  (#14) Old
Default 07-23-2009, 11:06 AM

did a google search to find this thread, it sucks, i'm on Windows7, and am also having this lagging issues, it's not my bandwidth or anything, it's just the processor not being able to keep up, i guess... i'm going to try and go back to a nLite version of XP and see if its better, also going to try Ubuntu Linux, i am sure it won't be better with OS X.

i also have a Acer Aspire One w/1gb ram with all the same specs running Windows7 and it keeps up with all the video i throw at it...

hopefully i can find a solution with another operating system that requires less resources... i'm also going to upgrade it to 2gb ram but i know that won't help me.
  (#15) Old
Default 07-23-2009, 11:43 AM

surely it's a software issue?

I've not got my 10v yet, but my HTC Touch Pro 2 cell phone with a Qualcomm 528MHz processor, no gfx acellerator, only 64mb spare RAM and 800x480 screen will play HQ youtube videos as smooth as silk on a wifi connection if i use the dedicated youtube player. it's sluggish when played in the opera browser though.

perhaps that might be the problem, the overhead from the browser slowing things down?
  (#16) Old
Default 07-24-2009, 07:01 AM

i hope it is, hopefully i can find a solution soon .

« Just received my Mini 10v from dell outlet | Windows 7 on the 10V - with 1GB RAM? »