Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Question Jump to a new mac... and kernel panic. Thanks Time Machine. - 07-29-2013, 05:52 AM

So I've been an avid Hackintosh user for 4+ years now (hell I'm typing this on my Hackintosh).

However, I'm going to College in the fall and needed something with a little more "umph" (plus I had some grad party money). So I got myself a ne 13" MacBook Pro Retina , 8GB Ram, i5, 256 GB SSD blah blah blah.

I have a Time Machine backup of my hackintosh.... I restored my new MacBook from said backup to get all my files, prefs, etc.

Then some weird crap happened (Best Buy is currently reinstalling my OS)

I had to force shutdown, and once I rebooted, I got a dreaded kernel panic. Ugh.

Couldn't boot verbose, single user, safe mode, nothing. Just kaput (hence Best Buy)

Interestingly, I noticed that the panic called a line of text that included a "SleepEnabler kext" I believe it's what caused the kernel panic (it was a modified Kext I used to fix the sleep on my Hackintosh, which is running 10.6.8)

Is it possible that Time Machine transferred my "hacked" kexts and NBI files to the new mac? and if so, would this cause a panic?

Also, can I safely use Time Machine tomorrow to restore my files IF I uncheck the "System Files" and "settings" options in the migration set up (you know, the screen where you check WHAT you want to transfer for the user you are transfering)?

Thank-yous in advance for anyone who can shed some light on this.

[Dell Mini 10v (1011) White--BIOS A06--NBBM Ver.0.8.4--10.6.3 Retail Disk--Mac OSX SL Ver. 10.6.8--128 GB Intel SSD--2GB of RAM--6 Cell Battery]

kernel mismatch, kernel panic, macbook retina, time machine

« Real problem reinstalling OS X | ?No dropdown menus? »