Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Exclamation Dell Mini 10v blinking cursor while trying to boot to SL installer - 09-19-2012, 02:34 AM

I've searched everywhere over the past 2 days and cannot seem to find a solution to this problem.

I just bought a Dell Mini 10v and have been trying to boot to the snow leopard installer but cannot get anything to work. The methods I've tried are:

1) Used my Mac Mini running snow leopard to format and partition a 16gb flash drive, and restored a retail copy of Snow Leopard DVD to that flash drive. I then used NetbookBootMaker (have tried both 0.8.3 and 0.8.4).

2) I've tried using my Windows 7 PC and the TransMac program to format a 4gb usb flash drive with the netbook installer, and a 16gb flash drive with the mac os x snow leopard retail install dvd.

3) I've tried restoring the snow leopard install dvd to a 500GB external usb hard drive, and then ran NetbookBootMaker on it

4) I've tried restoring the snow leopard install dvd to a 2TB external usb hard drive, and then ran NetbookBootMaker on it

No matter which method I try, when I plug the usb drive into the computer and boot, I select USB Storage as the boot device and then all I see is a white dashed line spinning, which then stops and a cursor flashes. Nothing happens after that. The flash drives I'm using are brand new, so I doubt there's anything wrong with them. I've even booted to the snow leopard installer using one of the flash drives that I ran netbookbootmaker on, on my mac mini just to test it out and that works fine...even though the partition table is set to MBR instead of GUID.

After becoming frustrated, and seeing that virtually every body with a tutorial on how to do this is using BIOS version A04, I downgraded my A06 BIOS to A04 and still have the exact same issue.

At one point, I thought that maybe I didn't receive a 10v model, but a 10 model. But, I was able to check the model using the service tag on computer, and it is indeed a 10v.

What am I missing? I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide. I'm about ready to install Ubuntu on the 10v, so I didn't waste the $215 lol, but I would really prefer to install snow leopard on it if I can.

(#2) Old
Default 09-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Guess you've got this sorted. What version of SL are you using. P.S. You're not supposed to restore to an MBR flash drive.

blinking cursor, can't boot, dell mini 10v, snow leopard

« How Near Can U get to 720p | Upgrading 10.6.2 -> 10.6.6 [Please help me out..] »