Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Everything installed bar the bootloader? - 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM

Oh why do I offer to help people out with things that should only take an hour which end up eating my whole day away?

A friend wanted to install OSX onto her Mini 10v and came over to ask me to help setup the USB stick, being a charitable soul with a free afternoon I said "Leave the machine and I'll sort it all out".

Now, 6 hours later, I turn to you:

Using the mechdrew guide, a retail SL disc, NetbookMaker 0.8.4 RC1 and a good USB stick has lead me to this situation.

The stick was setup fine, ran Netbookmaker on it, stuck it in mini10v and OSX installed perfectly (didn't get an error at the end, just an installed now restart screen) but when I reset it wouldn't load and gave me a boot0 error.

Thinking something was wrong with the install I redid everything and got the same result. Twice.

I tried booting off the USB installation drive and selecting the hard drive that way and it works, the whole install is there and working perfectly.

Thinking that there may be a problem with the bootloader or similar I got NetbookInstaller 20100616212351 and ran it from OSX to install the bootloader, it states it installed fine but still get the same error.

Any ideas?

I've now got a ex Windows machine sitting here that boots nothing, nothing to restore it back with and a whole afternoon spent achieving nothing.

Thanks
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 07-07-2012, 08:39 PM

this is a question better asked on the 10v OSX forum so I am moving your thread there....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 618
Thinking that there may be a problem with the bootloader or similar I got NetbookInstaller 20100616212351 and ran it from OSX to install the bootloader, it states it installed fine but still get the same error.

Thanks
A bit strange. Running NBI should have worked.

I suggest you run NBI from the install USB. Can't remember the tool bar layout anymore, and I don't have my mini handy. But it's there. Run it, reboot...

Hope that works.

Cheers.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#4) Old

Default 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Try booting into osx using the bootloader on the usb stick, then run the 10.6.7 update but do not restart when prompted, run NBI 351 then try rebooting.
You did set the hd up with GUID not MBR?
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#5) Old

Default 07-08-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
this is a question better asked on the 10v OSX forum so I am moving your thread there....
Thanks, I missed that forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
A bit strange. Running NBI should have worked.

I suggest you run NBI from the install USB. Can't remember the tool bar layout anymore, and I don't have my mini handy. But it's there. Run it, reboot...

Hope that works.

Cheers.
Well, here's the weirdness: When I selected NBI from the installer before loading OSX onto the drive there was no drive highlighted. There wasn't even an option to pick the volume as it seemed invisible to NBI yet the OSX installer picked the volume up no problem. Hence why I tried to retro install the MBR using a different version of the tool once I had installed (it stated the install went fine but still got boot0 error).

Tried to reinstall again from scratch and still end up in the same situation.

No good deed goes unpunished, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabhunter View Post
Try booting into osx using the bootloader on the usb stick, then run the 10.6.7 update but do not restart when prompted, run NBI 351 then try rebooting.
You did set the hd up with GUID not MBR?
Mike
Thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back.

I'd set the memory stick as MBR and the Mini10 drive to GUID as per instructions.

Quite a perplexing situation.
  (#6) Old

Default 07-09-2012, 03:17 PM

I think I know what the problem is. This machine is fitted with a 320GB Seagate Momentus drive (st320lt007-9zv142) which uses the new Advanced Format method of 4096 bytes as opposed to 512 bytes that every other drive before it has.

I think this is what is causing the problem as there appears to be no bootloader on there at all and I think this is what's causing the problem as I can boot into OSX via USB installer but not directly.

So, what are the options now? Is there a manual way (ie. not using Netbookmaker) of setting up the bootloader for this particular drive?
  (#7) Old

Default 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

Here's a solution in case anyone else is using an Advanced Format drive as well:

Right click, show contents on NetbookMaker
Navigate through the folders and find "boot1h"
Copy the extracted file "boot1h" to the root directory of your OSX install USB
Boot from the flash into the OSX installer
Select Disk Utility, unmount the OSX partition on the drive
Open Terminal type diskutil list and check your drive parameters.
CD into the root of your usb and type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
Close Terminal, shut down and reboot into a perfectly working Hackintosh.

« Connecting external display causes freeze/crash (not mirroring) [10v 10.6.3 0.8.4RC1] | [Triple Boot] Chameleon gone after fresh W7 install {HELP} »