Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Is this a way to do a new install? - 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM

I'm not sure I'm willing to try this, but is this possible? Theoretical question here:

I did a perfect install on my first 10v from a retail SL install disk. I updated it to 10.6.3. (perfect is relative - sound works some of the time, but I keep it at mute anyway so do not care)

After the first install and after updating to 10.6.3, before putting any software onto the mini, I made a bootable backup.
To save time and effort with this second mini, is it possible to boot from the USB backup and using SuperDuper clone the backup onto the HD?

I'm not sure I want to try this, this is just a theoretical question to help me understand what is going on in the brain of the mini which obviously is a PC that thinks it's a Mac...

 Mini 10v  | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | BIOS A06 | 6 cell battery | USB Legacy Support Enabled
  (#2) Old
Default 01-12-2012, 08:17 PM

I did a similar thing once, I actually booted off a bootable dvd (usb) and used the disk utility tool on that to partition the hard drive and restore the bootable image on a usb stick to the 10v hard drive. The only thing was I had to use the usb stick or the dvd to boot the hard drive and then re-run nbi so that it would then boot on its own.

Dell inspiron mini 1011
Ubuntu 13.04

Last edited by crabhunter; 01-12-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

« what caused my hibernation to be too old and not boot | Netbook Installer versions »