Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Reinstalling OSX, unseen Hard Drive - 09-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Hi all, my daughter's 10v hackintosh would not boot up this morning, it kept giving me the following error:
Constant beep beep beep beep at the Dell Inspiron boot screen, then:

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found.

When i plug in my usb to reinstall, it can't find the hard drive. Has the HD bit the bullet? Help would be most appreciated, even if it's just telling my my daughter's dell is humped.

Thanks, all!
  (#2) Old
Default 09-13-2011, 10:56 PM

From what I can see elsewhere on the Internet, the PXE error is when your bios tries to boot from a network drive.

Taking into account that I realize the laptop worked fine a day or two ago and that your daughter probably didn't go in and change any bios boot order settings...the first thing I would do is go in and check the applicable bios settings, just to make sure the hard drive is placed above 'network boot' on the list. I wouldn't get my hopes up about that magically working, I would say the hard drive has crashed. :-(
  (#3) Old
Default 09-14-2011, 04:16 AM

I've seen that error on the mini 9's when the SSD has died.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#4) Old
Default 09-15-2011, 01:38 AM

When I used the USB to boot OSX, it asked me to choose the drive on which I would install OSX, but the only drive available was the USB itself... no hard drive recognized. I would guess this means a dead HD. Would you suggest upgrading to an SSD over a replacement HD?

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

not that I would recommend the "Fonzie" method to anyone, but I need to ask if anyone has seen this before, or if all of these people are mental?

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Sorry, it wouldn't let me post the link until my third post, guess it's newbie protection. I found a link with a lot of people reporting "hitting" their computer and having it magically work again. Once I post a few more replies, I suppose I'll get the link up...

10v, 10v boot issues, pxe-e61

« alt/option keys and windows key remap? | No snow leopard for me »