Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Nov 2009
06-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Any security fix in that list that has 10.6.7 in the "available for" heading is included in the 10.6.8 update and, as far as I can tell, not available elsewhere. There is a standalone "Security Update 2011-004" available that addresses a lot of the same issues, but it is only for 10.5.8.
Mac malware is starting to get some real momentum this year, so it's high time to start taking these security updates seriously. The good news is there are no Safari vulnerabilities listed (web browser is by far the most common attack vector), and no privilege escalation vulnerabilities (malware will only be able to run with local user rights, not system rights.) The bad news is the many arbitrary code execution bugs, one in the PDF library, one in the font system, two in the core image display libraries, and several in QuickTime. Some of these can probably be automatically exploited from within Safari, so a malicious webpage (or even a malicious image -- ad banner, avatar, etc -- from a trusted webpage) could get full access to read/modify/delete your files. Icing on the cake: due to a bug in the App Store, those files might include your Apple ID and password.
As of today, it's probably safer to roll back your Minis to 10.5.8 in order to be protected. Crazy but true.
Join Date: May 2010
06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Join Date: May 2011
06-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Join Date: Aug 2009
06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
update, all is still working except one thing, the app store app starts up and then it gives the ignore or retry. Other than that no issues.
As for the install steps. From an old meklort post i have been doing this since 10.6.3 on the 2100. This is not for the beginner and i am not held responsible if it does not work. see below about good backup first..
1) Terminal window, all as root sudo su - (root)
2) cd /System/Library/Extensions; tar -cvf /Users/youruserid/aplhda.tar AppleHDA.kext
3) ls | wc -l and see how many extensions you have i have 184
4)load the 10.6.8 combo but do NOT press restart after done
5) as root like above in step 2, ls | wc -l and it will be like 232 or higher dependin if you have lots of third part loaded, little snitch,etc..
6) rm -rf ATI* NVDA* GeF* hp_* AppleGMAX* (dont need any of these for dell minis)
you need to get the file count some where in low 180s
7) mv AppleHDA.kext to /Users/yourid/ (this is for audio)
8) tar -xvf /Users/yourid/aplhda.tar (in /System/Library/Extensions)
9) from finder shift alt G to to go to Folder /Extra
10) then run the UpdateExtra wait unit it gets done
11) then press restart from the 10.6.8 update window
12) wait until reboots, the first time i boot with -v to see how it looks at startup
I am going to try to see what is up with the app store app, really not to important to me i dont use.
When i check for updates it says i have no further updates. so that is a good sign.
Lastly,most importantly, i use clonezilla (free) to make a partition backup (first). I have had 100% success recover back with clonezilla(tri boot setup, mac,windows 7,mint 10). I know the 2100 is not a 10v but i have a 10v but i could not get past the 1024x600 screen so i went to the 2100 with 1366x768 and it has been great since.
Please post back if this works or if doesnt. Hope this helps someone
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.