Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palm Springs, CA
04-19-2011, 07:36 AM
edit: now i can't seem to find the thread.
first: some assumptions i am making from the info you've given. 1. you have a working OS X install on your 10v, successfully updated to 10.6.7 2. you accomplished that by use of NBI..351 3. you have a way to install Windows 7 (either on a usb installer, or an external DVD drive) 3. you have your OS X install USB still.
to add Win 7:
BACK UP ANYTHING IMPORTANT YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE FROM YOUR MINI
1. Add a partition for Win 7 using Disk Utility ( Applications/ Utilities / Disk Utility). When it opens, select the icon for your drive (the top icon on the left), click on the partition tab on the right, click on the plus sign on the bottom, this will 'split' your drive into 2 partitions. click on the second one and pick the size you want it to be and give it a name (windows) so you can identify it. Choose fat32 as the file format, click the partition button, and confirm on the warning dialog.
2. run the windows installation which will be very straight forward, just make sure you pick the second partition you created above.
when the install completes your mini will only be able to boot into Windows 7, this is because the installer changes the active boot partition.
3. use your OS X install USB as a bootloader to boot into your mini's OS X partition.
4. change the active partition in the terminal using these instructions:
[How to] Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk in MacOSX - InsanelyMac Forum
5. run NBI..351 (you can uncheck everything except "install chameleon bootloader").
now when you reboot chameleon will load OS X first. to get a choice of operating systems, interrupt the boot process when you see the hard drive icon with decreasing progress bar (chameleon) by pressing the spacebar, or return key.
and that's all.
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
Join Date: Apr 2011
Dual Boot - OS X already installed - 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Well I finally completed setting up my Dell Mini 10v to dual boot OS 10.6.7 and Windows 7.
Being a PeeCee weenie, it took me a bit to figure out how to format the Windows partition NTFS during the setup. After the install I followed directions for using fdisk in OS X to set the OS X partition to be the primary boot section. Was a little nervous upon reboot when all I got was a flashing cursor. Figured out that I needed to boot using the OS X flash drive and then selecting the installed 10.6.7 on the hard drive to start up. Ran NBI 0.8.4 checking only chameleon, rebooted and viola!
Everything is working great. Many thanks, Oscar.
Join Date: Apr 2011
04-21-2011, 02:28 PM
|10.6.7, dual boot, windows 7|
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.