Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 Messup - 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Hey Everyone,

I've had my Mini 10V dual booting XP (the pre-installed OS it came with) and OS X using the netbookbootmaker for about 10 months now.

I just attempted to upgrade the XP installation to Windows 7 and lost my boot screen. It now just automatically boots into Windows 7 without any option.

I just booted from the CD and installed on the C: drive like a regular Win7 install.

I can still see the OS X drive in Windows using MacDrive, just can't access it.

Any ideas short of redoing the whole process?

(#2) Old
Default 02-07-2011, 04:32 AM

You need to make the OSX partition active.

Caution: it shouldn't be the case, but on the outside shot that the Chameleon Bootloader is damaged, changing the active partition will leave you with a non-booting mini. If you use option C below, you'll have the tool you will need to change back to Windows active partition--though you might be able to do it with the Win7 install disk also (repair).

To change your active partition try:

A) Control Panel/ Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management tab:
Right click the OSX partition and select Mark as Active, though I'm not sure you'll be able to do it this way.

B) If you have an installation USB for OSX, you can use it to boot into Mac OS X, and follow instructions here: [How to] Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk in MacOSX - InsanelyMac Forum

C) If A doesn't work, and if B is not an option, you can use Linux. If you have a live USB already, use that. If not, you can create one fairly easily.
I suggest Ubuntu. Get the iso here: Download | Ubuntu
Get the universal installer here: Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Once you've created the live USB, run ubuntu off of it, and open GParted.
In GParted, right click the OSX partition / Manage Flags / check the box for boot.

You can use easyBCD to add Mac OS X entry to your Win7 bootloader. That will allow you to boot into OS X, and from there you can change the active partition as in option B above, if you prefer to have chameleon-- remove the OSX entry from easyBCD after that.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link:

Last edited by Oscar; 02-10-2011 at 01:30 PM.

« 10.6.6 unique problem? | Bluetooth terminal mod in 10.6.4 works »