Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default SL-Ubuntu dual boot instructions? - 02-03-2011, 11:20 PM

I haven't seen any forums with specific instruction on this, particularly using recent versions of the NBI (0.8.4 - 5).

I have a SL install USB with an old version of the NBI (0.8.3 I think)

I would like to do this the best way, and from scratch (completely clean install). I assume that the steps are as follows (with my questions inserted):

1) enable USB legacy, boot to SL install USB stick

2) select disk utility, partition the drive

***how big should I make the Ubuntu partition, and what format? MS-DOS?***

3) go back to the SL installation, direct the SL install to the OsX extended (journaled) partition, let it do its thing

4) upgrade NBI, restart, take off USB legacy support

5) use the downloaded, combined OsX update (10.6.5 or whatever) and update that

6) restart and see if all is good

7) Now install Ubuntu to the other partition

***but how?***

many thanks!

p.s. I have seen a few forums that I can't understand. e.g. I don't know what a grub is (other than the name for a beetle larva). A link to clear instructions would be very appreciated!
  (#2) Old
Default 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM

This guide is about as straight forward you are likely to find. The person who wrote the guide was using a mini 9 but the instructions are pretty much the same for a 10v.

OSX / Ubuntu Linux Dual Boot on Mini 9 Guide

Dell Mini 10v | BIOS A06 | OS X 10.6.6 | Atom N270 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | 6-cell battery
  (#3) Old
Default 02-10-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't know much about hackintoshes or dual-booting OSX, but I can help you with the questions specific to Ubuntu.

I'd recommend 8GB for an Ubuntu system partition on a desktop or laptop. If you plan to use virtual memory/swap, add another 2GB partition for swap (or just increase the 8GB partition to 10GB and use a file for swap. If you plan to keep user files (particularly music and videos) on the same partition, you'll want even more space.

As for format (FAT32/NTFS/etc), the Ubuntu installer should take care of that.

GRUB is the name of the bootloader used by Ubuntu. It's the program that gives you the choice of OSs when booting, then it loads your choice.

In the instructions you describe, GRUB isn't the primary bootloader. You install GRUB to the Linux partition instead of the start of the hard drive. The primary bootloader (Chameleon?) is installed to the start of the hard drive by the hackintosh tools. Chameleon gets loaded by the computer, and gives you the OSs choices. One choice will be "Ubuntu", but that technically means load GRUB, which then loads Ubuntu.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

Last edited by reflex; 02-10-2011 at 03:36 PM.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM

After you get OSX works, create an Ubuntu install flash drive and install to a FAT partition (created by Disk Utility in Mac OS) by choosing advance partition option when you install Ubuntu. In the last step of installation, select installing GRUB to that partition and restart.
Press any key when you see the boot loader, and you can select either Mac or Linux to boot from.

« no wifi card recognized. help | Airline golden USB wireless adapter »