Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#31) Old
Default 02-03-2011, 01:18 AM

Thanks! I'll try that tonight and report back...
  (#32) Old
Default 02-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Yay Ubuntu! I'm a convert!!

So the terminal codes that SideStep suggested above (with or without the # symbol) did not work. Then I remembered that I had a friend who uses Ubuntu and phoned him.

He suggested I log in as a root "super user" using the following command in the terminal:

sudo su

That changed my login to root, and it allowed me to view the contents of those blocked folders! Another cool hint that he gave me was to type the following into terminal:

That's the name of the "finder" program in Ubuntu, and so that opens up a Nautilus window as a "super user."

(otherwise, just opening up a Nautilus finder window from the desktop does it as my user login, not Root "super user")

That made it easier to drag and drop files to my external HD.

...but wait! Ubuntu is telling me that my external HD is "read-only."

Fortuitously, I made this external HD with two partitions: one formatted for MacOsX, one formatted for MS-DOS. I was trying the Mac OsX partition. When I tried the MS-DOS partition, it worked great! All my data is now backed up and safe, and I am ready to do a clean reinstall!

I am left with these thoughts about running OsX on a Dell mini:

1) ALWAYS have an Ubuntu bootable disk on hand! Clearly, the linux OS is able to do stuff that Os X is not.

2) ALWAYS make sure that you have an external HD that you use for backups that contains a MS-DOS partition.

3) In fact, I am strongly considering, in this next clean install, making a dual boot, Ubuntu-OsX machine. After seeing how efficient Ubuntu is (I can't believe all the programs and functionality that it can have for under 1GB!), it would be great to just use that OS! Unfortunately, I need to use some proprietary programs for work that only run on Mac or PC.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help!

Last edited by bugjah; 02-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.
  (#33) Old
Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 02-04-2011, 12:20 AM

Doh! How could I forget to mention sudo? Woe is me!

Anyways, glad to hear you got it all sorted out. You really should give that dual boot a try. It's always fun to tinker with Linux.

Best of luck in your future endeavors!

« 10.6.6 external monitor FAIL | For my new 10v- Mac OS X 10.5.8, or 10.6? »