Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Please help making my backup bootable - 01-03-2011, 02:47 AM

Hello everyone,

I needed to fully erase my 10v hard drive, so I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup of my 10.6.5 install on an external hard drive. It booted up fine at first, but after erasing my hard drive, it won't boot up anymore.

It sounds like I need to run NetbookBootMaker on the external hard drive to make it bootable, but I'm unable to since my only other computer is a PowerPC iBook G4. After some searching, I found a guide that told me to copy some files from, such as boot1h and boot0 to the external hard drive. After doing this and trying to boot it, it says "boot0: error".

I'm in desperate need of help. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks.
  (#2) Old
Default 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Yup, I'm sure there is a way that's over my head, but the easy way is to borrow a Mac. Run NBI on the drive, all you need is the boot-loader at this point. Then plug into your Mini and when you start hold the shift key to boot to safe mode and when you see the solid screen with your hard drive type "recovery=y" without the quotations (you'll see it at the bottom) and enter to boot without loading all the extensions. Once you're in run NBI again with the default boxes checked which will create system specific extensions. Reboot when done and hopefully you will be set, then you can clone back over.

Make sure you use the correct version of NBI for your install and that your USB legacy support is enabled in the Bios.

Edit: After re-reading your post, you need NetbookInstaller, not NetbookMaker!....and since you are on 10.6.5 be sure to use the patched one with the ridiculously long name.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#3) Old
Default 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Don't use Netbookmaker.

If you did a carbon copy as the above poster stated, boot into recovery mode. It should load as he stated.

From my experience, only run the chameleon bootloader install from NBI . Uncheck all the other boxes. That stuff is already in the backup.

I just made a backup of my 10.6.5 using Carbon Copy over the weekend and every time I ran the entire NBI it wouldn't boot correctly.

4 partition reformats, and NBI runs later, I decided to just install the chameleon bootloader iand it booted up fine with no issues.

Make sure USB legacy support is active and the USB sleep is disabled before booting to the backup.

« Help IOBluetoothFamily.kext/contents/info.plist | Working with NBI 0.8.pre »