Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Path to upgrade advice - 12-20-2010, 01:17 AM

I installed my Mini 10v hackintosh following the gizmodo guide last October, and haven't really done any updates. So my current state is a Dell Mini 10v; BIOS at A04, and OSX at 10.6.1. Until this day I've avoided upgrading past this point since I didn't see any value in each of the updates that have come out, I my system has always been stable. I got the Magic Trackpad, and looks as though none of the features of the Trackpad are supported on systems not running 10.6.4+. I also tried using the Magic Mouse MagicPrefs utility but it crashed providing no enhanced features other then a typical mouse.

So I'm trying to find the best way to get my netbook to 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 while keeping it as stable as it is now (Should I just follow this thread). I would also love to update the BIOS to something other then A04 that won't require me to toggle the "USB Legacy Support" setting to get the sleep functionality.

One other question what's the best way of backing up my system before I do any updating? Would a Carbon Copy Clone to an external be sufficient, and if so can I trigger the boot manager by holding the option/Windows key as a way booting into the external drive if necessary like I can on a regular Mac?

Thanks for the help.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-20-2010, 01:38 AM

Follow the thread you mentioned to go to 10.6.4 or 10.6.5, don't mess with your BIOS, USB is fine once you run the NBI linked in the first post of that thread.

Check out this thread on actually getting Hibernation to work(ignore everything but post #80)-
Is Hibernation actually possible?

Carbon Copy or Super Duper clones- you won't be able to boot them like a regular Mac, you will have to select them at boot up by hitting F12. Make sure you run NetBookInstaller and select them as the target once you have cloned, or they won't boot at all.
How I made a bootable clone flash drive for my mini

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM

« WiFi Issues | osX already installed...duelboot? »