Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Question Help-new setup using NBI0.8.5pre great until not- - 12-16-2010, 11:45 PM

Hello -I'm new to all of this. I have a Dell mini 10v, and I used the NetbookInstaller0.8.5pre to make USB boot drive, using a retail version of the Mac OS X 10.6 DVD installer. Used the Gizmodo instructions: How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v Into the Ultimate Snow Leopard Netbook

Everything went fine, and it booted up into 10.6. I then ran the NBI again off the HD where I had copied it to, then ran Software Update & installed 10.6.5 update, plus iTunes and a few other things. Rebooted. Started up in verbose mode, ran for a bit, then eventually rebooted, into 10.6.5, and everything looked fine. Poked about some preferences, then installed a printer (I had unchecked all printer drivers in the original install), and was asked if I wanted to install the drivers for this printer, clicked yes, and then saw a window saying Software Update was looking/downloading new software. It finished and things still seemed to be working.

a bit later I noticed I wasn't connecting to the internet like I had been, a different USB drive I plugged in wouldn't recognize, so I rebooted-
and now all I can get is either an endless white screen with the grey apple & turning grey power-button looking circle if I boot from the HD, and the same if I boot from the Mac Install USBdrive, except that that will eventually go to a dark gray screen, but I am unable to access the prompt.

HELP! I've looked through the threads, and keep seeing "run the NBI again", but I can't figure out HOW to, since I can't get to any kind of CI prompt. I only get the option in Setup to choose either the USB drive or the HD; once I choose one I never get another chance to input anything.

Thanks for you help with this. I'm supposed to be flying out tonight with this as my laptop, but not looking likely at this point.
  (#2) Old
Default 12-17-2010, 12:20 PM

At the screen where you see boot options, just type "recovery=y -v". Try it and then run NBI when you boot into SL.

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

Also, while I am a noob to all this, I did read that 0.8.5pre is still in an experimental stage. If running that does not work, I would try 0.8.4 RC1.

« Working Mini 10v - OS X 10.6.5 | "Still waiting for root device" assistance needed. »