Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Ilife08 install questions - 12-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Hey all

I recently bought a 10v with 10.6.3 installed and want to add ILife so my daughter can use garageband...

After checking this site I found out that Ilife08 would be best for the 10v's screen resolution so I purchased a copy off of ebay.

So now the hard part...installation...I have the ILife08 DVD, the 10v with 10.6.3, a portable HD, plenty of pc's with dvd drives but I DO NOT have an external usb dvd or a 8gb+ flash drive at the moment. Also I do not have a Mac to use.

Question is can I install with what I have at hand or do I need to invest in the flash drive or a usb dvd drive? My 10v can link to my win7 pc and I was hoping to use the win7 dvd drive but no luck...I get this error "the operation can't be completed because the original item for "D" can't be found"

Also how do I determine if the Ilife08 dvd is a good copy? It came as a disk in a white sleeve and was a bit scratched. If I place it in my win7 pc's dvd drive it will not read that normal for a PC to not read a MAC dvd?? It wont even see folders/files etc.

Thanks in advance for the help
  (#2) Old
Default 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM

I guess you need additional driver on your PC. This link might be a starting point in search for the driver. Look for optical (CD/DVD) drive specific solution.

Another idea: If you find a PC with two optical drives or 1GB spare USB flash drive you can boot live Linux distro, mount ILife DVD and access it over the network.

Mini 10v, BIOS A06, OS X 10.6.6, Linux-Mint, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
  (#3) Old
Default 12-14-2010, 05:31 PM

I think you'll find GarageBand is unusable on the 10v...most of the controls are out of view at the bottom of the screen ...all the other apps are fine though...sorry to disappoint.
  (#4) Old
Default 12-15-2010, 12:25 AM

GarageBand8 is good, you just have to hit max window button to get to transport, then drag main window with the side bar and add a few xtra instruments at the top and use the third instrument or so, or use external monitor.

« How do I get a more accurate reading of battery time left in Snow? | Stuck in waking up from deep sleep »