Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default SSD not recognized as internal drive - 11-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Hi gang, this is my first post here, so forgive any noobiness. I bought a used Mini 10v a month or so ago with the intention of putting OSX on it. The install went quickly and easily (well, quicker and easier than other hackingtoshes I've worked with) and I've been very happy with the performance so far, (other than choppy flash playback).

On Friday, I took advantage of the Microcenter Black Friday deals and bought their rebranded Adata 64 GB SSDs. I cloned my existing drive over, used a USB drive with the OSX install to boot, then ran netbook installer. Then the trouble began.

Sometimes it boots, sometimes I get the grey apple screen with a little "no entry" sign above the apple. When I restart it, it usually boots up no problem. I can see the drive in Disk Utility in the OS, but NOT when I use Disk Utility from the OSX Install disk. Also, I can boot to the drive when it's an external USB drive just fine, and in fact, it's snappier as an external drive than an internal one. Obviously, something about the SATA connection is holding it back. I've heard that the Mini's board uses a PATA-to-SATA bridge and that this could be the problem. Any idea if that's true?

Where do I go from here? I can certainly use the SSD in other computers, so if there is another, "proven" compatible SSD, I'd like to hear about it before just going out and purchasing another.

(#2) Old
Default 12-04-2010, 03:36 AM

I see that no one has posted on your question, and respond only because I have just picked up a mini 9 to play with, and will be adding a bigger SSD and trying OSX on it like I have with the 10V. Have you made any headway with your system? wondering what you mean when you say you cloned your system? Did you use Super Duper or another program. Thanks for your consideration.

Mini 10v/1GB RAM/160GB HD/ BIOS A06/SL 10.6.6
Mini 9 /2GB RAM/ 16GB SSD/BIOS A05/SL 10.6.6
OSX Installation via USB & Mac
NBMaker 0.8.4.RC1 / NBI 20100616212351
"Remember to back up your hard earned work with a boot-able disc BEFORE upgrading!"
  (#3) Old
Default 12-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Oh no, that could be bad news for me.

I've ordered the US$94.99 Adata 64GB SSD from NewEgg during their Black Friday sale and was hoping to install it in my Mini 10V.

I currently have a Kingston 30GB SSD in there and it's working really well except for the lack of space (it's only 30GB) and really slow speed (for an SSD although it's still noticeably faster than the 160GB HDD that came with the Mini 10V).

We'll see how it goes when the Adata SSD arrives next week ...
  (#4) Old
Default 12-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Just an update.

Installed the Adata S596 Turbo 64GB SSD in my Mini 10V and it's working great so far. Over 10 cold starts and over a dozen restarts all without fail.

I believe what 'gdubduc' is experiencing could just be an isolated case.

« Ran down battery in Sleep. Now get EBIOS read error. | Where to buy a 10v? »