Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default dell mini 10v osx 10.6 issue... black screen - 11-11-2010, 12:09 PM

im new to posting to forums and my understanding of these issues are pretty good but i dont know everything. maybe someone can help me out. im currently using a Dell mini 10v and i am trying to install osx 10.6. i built a usb stick following the gizmodo guide sort of around the time it was first posted to give you an idea of what is on my usb stick. im not sure how else to convey what i built the stick with.
my issue is this, i built 4 other minis with this stick. i had zero issues. it worked perfectly. this time i ran into a wall and maybe im overlooking something, its been a while. so i changed the BIOS as instructed and booted off the stick. this time, unlike the last, i get a screen with 4 hard drive choices on it. one is the usb stick with the osx, one is the dell's hd and the other two are blank. so i chose the computers drive. everything then loaded fine. the apple logo came up, i fixed the settings as directed, partitioned the drive and ran the install. it installed and finished. after that it seemed to work fine. it came to the usual options screen to set up a mac for the first time. and looked good. the usb stick was still attached so i ejected it from the desktop. and restarted to make sure it went well.
at this point all i get is a black screen and a blinking cursor in the top left corner. i though maybe i have to change the BIOS back so it will boot from the hd rather than the usb. so i did that, hit f10 to save and let it boot up. i get the black screen. i let it sit for a long time and nothing. i tried putting the usb stick in again and when it booted i got a grey screen with 2 hard drive choices. the usb stick osx and then the new partitioned drive which i named and could see. so i chose that. it tried to load the osx again. so after a while i just reinstalled it. and i have the same issue. im not sure what the problem is here. i never had it before and i could find nothing checking out forums all day. i am really frustrated. im doing to machines and they are both having the same exact issue.

does anyone have an idea of what is going on here? anyone have the same issue? im using the exact model computers and usb stick i have used before. i would really appreciate some help.

sorry for the long message but i wanted to be as through as possible.

« Get Extensions | Should I send this back? »