Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Mac OS X Mini 10v Prefered Parts List - 11-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Hello everyone.
Waiting for my new baby to arrive.(Last refurbished 10v from
Very pleased to find this forum with such knowledgeable people and have been noticing some of your kit.
Could we have a sources list sticky for recommended hardware(RAM, SSD, HDD, WiFi, ETC) as well as where you purchased it. Maybe a tips, tricks and tweaks sticky? A Mods and Hacks you show me yours and I'll show mine(when I get it that is) sticky?
My specs are N270 1.6Ghz Diamondville, 1GB 800MHZ DDR2 DIM RAM, 500GB HDD, 10.1WSVGA,V2,Lg Philips LCD with 1.3MP CAM and DW1510 WiFi card.
First I plan on a 2GB upgrade before the SL install. Then SSD? Repurpose HDD as external. Not being a big fan of taking it all apart to accomplish this, I am considering buying all the parts that would be needed to max the specs now so I wont have to open her up again. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated since this SL 10v will serve as my everyday machine for classes. My college wifi network only supports Windows and Mac. Windows is not for me. If my install fails for some reason or another I can still install Linux.
Thank you in advance for your kind attention.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-03-2010, 02:12 AM

hey and welcome to the site, your Q is a bit confusing that's why no one has replied.

as we run an un credited OS there is no accredited parts supplier..

what hardware upgraded do you want specifically?

as for your uni network, apple 'software update' recognises a mini update as a macbook i'd relax if i were you.. lol i love pinging stuff like google or yahoo and they always say "macbook osx compliant" (well they actually say Macintosh mobile computer"

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#3) Old
Default 11-04-2010, 04:25 AM

Thank you for responding Felixz. I want to upgrade/take apart the 10v only once if possible. Which 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM? The specs say 533Mhz FSB, but the 10v that Dell is shipping me is 1GB 800Mhz memory card? I noticed some members on this forum have memory cards that are 667Mhz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the motherboard dictates the speed. Even at 800Mhz, the card will run at 533Mhz. I am about to purchase the Kingston HyperX 2GB 533Mhz(low latency), the A-DATA S599 AS599S-64GM-C 2.5 128GB SATA II internal SSD(Read up to 280MB/s Write up to 270MB/s) and a 6-cell battery. Perform the surgery then install OS X 10.6 and upgrade to 10.6.4. Or should I install/upgrade SL on the included 500GB HDD then clone the drive to SSD then swap? I hope that I'm making sense this time. I tend to be hard to follow sometimes.
  (#4) Old
Default 11-07-2010, 03:26 AM

That's right, you are limited by the bus speed.....I forget what it is. Your HD could be done either way, I would probably do the Mods and then install SL. How do you plan to install, is this something you have done before?

One thing you want to do is check the hardware with whatever operation system it's running now to make sure everything is working.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

« Mach_kernel error after system update - SNL 10.6.3 | Problems with 10.6.4 »