Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Default 10-25-2010, 12:26 AM

n.b lion wont be seen as a big step update by Apple as SL was, so it will probably cost around £100 or so for a retail copy I guess although Apple are a bit vague on under the bonnet stuff. just some new pointless features as far as I can make out, a new apple apps store? what's that.. sounds more like a skin change or something, so mac computers act like iPads, dunno have to wait and see but it sounds irritating already..

I haven't seen anything about only 64 bit support, be very surprised if that's the case.

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#12) Old
Default 10-26-2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by T1gger View Post
I agree.. It's a little early to speculate about OSX 10.7 . If it will go on my Mini 10v then GREAT However i'm still wondering if the trackpad is up to scratch to cope with all the new touch gestures
That was my thought after the keynote, no way the 10V trackpad will be suitable for Lion, hell, I don't think it's even suitable for Leopard! But for people who almost always use a mouse because of this anyway it would still be worth trying to run Lion. However, my suspicion is that there will be a lot of Mini's on the market soon as the new 11" Air with a fullsize trackpad is really way more suited for it.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#13) Old
Default 10-26-2010, 05:48 AM

I'm still kind of a noob here, but what would the practicality be of picking up a magic mouse or trackpad from Apple be? Is there any reason to believe they would be incompatible, or would you be able to use all of the multitouch capabilities and gestures?

-- --
Interested in Psychology? Check out my podcast!
  (#14) Old
Default 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM

I honestly think the gestures and multitouch on a desktop is just a gimmick that Apple can get away with due to it's success with touch screens. But who knows.

Dell Mini 10v | Bios A06 | 2GB RAM | 40GB SSD w/ OS X 10.6.7 | 6-Cell Battery | NBI 0.8.5pre
  (#15) Old
Default 10-26-2010, 08:31 AM

I'll admit that full trackpad compatibility would be kind of nice but coming from a Windows world the way the Dell Mini 10V's trackpad works with OSX is fine for me
  (#16) Old
Default 10-31-2010, 03:16 AM

what you have to remember in all this is ergonomics pliant with user memory, you can get as clever as you want but we are not space monkeys.. simple is best believe me.

hey did some one buy this site after?

hey to expand on this..

OSX is a result of a development company called "next" and coded by a guy called Avie Tevanian who used as a base the unix underpinning binary, codesigned to the so called 'Mach' binary a new company called 'next step' took this forward blah blah .. when this binary changes so will the descriptive OSX change.. it's inception is hardware based more than anything as it is not + or - irreducible, Tevanian says that he sees another 15 years life of his cool expandable kernel (he left apple (next step) two years ago.

mathematics lie with in the real advances of computing, that's why we need to understand the laws of minuscule. for example the fastest computer can't process faster than an earth worm but with 100000 x the energy or to put it another way our brian produces less than the power needed to light a light bulb but manages conciseness.

I totally agree with Turing that our state of being is a delusion solely based on computing power achieved.

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51

« Dell Mini keyboard map | Can I use SL upgrade OEM for 10V »