Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Bad Video Playback - 10-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Mini 10v running OSX 10.6.4 of the following spec:
Intel Atom Processor N270 (1.6GHz, 512K cache, 533MHz FSB); 2GB Memory (533 MHz DDR2); 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive; Media Card Reader; Wireless 802.11b/g Mini Card; Integrated Audio; 10/100 Ethernet; 3 USB Ports; Integrated analog microphone; Integrated Intel Media Accelerator Graphics, Built-in 1.3MP Webcam

Any video played (flash, mov, etc) is very choppy and unwatchable. This is in the web browser, using QuickTime or VLC.

The last owner carried out the OSX installation; consequently, I don’t currently have a access to OSX on USB.

I have seen other Mini 10v’s running multiple videos fine. Can anyone help me diagnose what might be wrong here?

(#2) Old
Default 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Any ideas?
  (#3) Old
Default Did you sort this? - 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM

I have the exact same problem. Running 10.6.7 with 1GB ram and video playback is driving me mental such that I am going to sell my Mini 10v if I can't sort it (luckily I have an Inspiron 1525 that works almost perfectly hackintoshed).

I've tried disabling legacy USB and enabling speed stepping in BIOS but no joy.

As all I use my mini for is internet surfing and rugby dump video watching it has kind of ruined the experience for me. On a point of intrest it is also really poor at running openoffice.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Bad Video Playback - 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM

I am running 10.6.7 on a 10v - (same specs as your except only 1GB RAM). I streamed a Netflix video and it was not too bad. There were a few jerky spots, but it was not so bad that it ruined the experience.

I will try streaming a Netflix video in Windows 7 on the same machine to see if there is any difference in performance and report back.

(#5) Old
Default 04-21-2011, 02:19 AM

Any video? That's strange. I have the exact same setup and most video works fine, some will even run fullscreen.

Make sure you have the latest flash, quicktime and silverlight. Note: the 10v won't play HD content very well. 720p has been unwatchable for me. Hulu and some other flash based stuff tends to be choppier than, say, Netflix which, unless my computer's running hot, plays really well. Video becomes unwatchable when the 10v heats up and this happens quickly.

It could be bad memory or a bad or full hard drive (with 2GB, there's going to be VM used). If you're having problems unrelated to streaming content, then it's likely a memory, drive or GPU issue - hopefully not the latter.

Some of the things I've done to maintain good video playback is to invest in a USB powered cooling stand, set my default playback in Hulu to 360p or, sometimes, 288p, avoid HD content, make sure I'm not running anything in the background (Dropbox, Mail, etc...), make sure I have at least 10GB of disk space free and that the hard drive is working well.

Last edited by entspeak; 04-21-2011 at 02:23 AM.

« Stuck on white apple load screen after update | De-flower a n00b! »