Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Multiple / 3 external Monitors on dell mini 10v - Snow Leopard - 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Hello - I have my Mini 10v installed with snow leopard, and am really impressed with it. One question is, I know I can add an external monitor via VGA, however i have two other monitors also lying about the house, which I dont use which both use VGA connection too.
Would it be possible to have a 3 external monitor rig set up?
I was thinking if I buy a couple of VGA splitters off Amazon, one to connect to the laptop, and one extra for the splitter port for the other pair of monitors. Would this have a knock on effect on the system, would it display correctly?

Thanks in advance, and I am quite a newb at Macs so thanks. Olg 207
  (#2) Old
Default Re:Multiple / 3 external Monitors on dell mini 10v - Snow Leopard - 10-10-2010, 07:07 AM

(first post and new to the group so I don't know the protocols).

You need something like a Matrox Triplehead2go analog, which sends a fake EDID signal to the PC telling it that the three monitors connected to it are just one monitor. The monitors all have to be the same resolution, 1280 x 1024 to make one screen at 3840 x 1024. I haven't tested this on a dell 10v hackintosh yet, I'll keep you posted since I've got one at work and can give it a go next week.

I have a mac mini 2Ghz that has the same graphics card as the 10v but which has two ports, a mini displayport and an analogue mini one. This can easily run three monitors using the Triplehead2go Digital, but is a bit clunky when using the Triplehead2go analog. In theory, the 10v should just about manage it, but it might struggle a bit and could be tricky to set up.

What's more interesting is the fact that the mac mini can run two HD monitors at 3840 x 1080 using the Matrox Dualhead2go Digital, which it does really well. I'll test this out on my new 10v Hackintosh at work this week and let you know what happens. In terms of cost, I picked up a Dualhead2go Digital for £70 from ebay, and an analog one for £20 (but they usually go for £40). I actually have the whole range which I use for different video projects and they're very reliable- often it's the mac that overheats and conks out, not the matrox box.

I'll get my experimenting head on and fill you on the results,
  (#3) Old
Default 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM

I think what I am going to do, I have seen the prices for the triplehead2go, and to be honest cant afford it. But I would love to see the results you produce. I am thinking however to get the dualhead2go, but slight problem - I have 2 screens one is a 20" wide screen and the other is 17" standard, is that going to be a problem.
One more question I have seen one on ebay for relatively cheap and it is the digital version (so its output is DVI?), my two external monitors run off VGA, couldnt I get two adaptors for the output of DVI to turn into VGA? would that work?
Thanks - olg207

« Won't Boot Without Flash Drive | Need help adding the os to my mini 1010 »