Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Unhappy WakeKey=y boot issue - 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM

I gave my wife a Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v for Xmas in Dec. of 2009. Gave her explicit instructions to NOT run any Mac OS updates on it. Well, came home from work last night to find she had just ran 5 updates (she doesn't know what they were - said she was just trying to update iTunes). Anyway, now it won't work - the computer now does the following at boot:
- loads the Dell logo screen, then
- loads the Hackintosh "Apple" screen and the progress bar completes, then
- the line of text: "Hibernate image is too old by 2342669 seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override." appears at the top of the screen.

This line of text sits on the screen for about 15 seconds, then the computer reboots and this process just repeats forever until I power down.

I haven't worked on any hacks on this machine since I originally set it up for her (not a hacker or programmer here). Any idea how to get this back up and running, hopefully WITHOUT wiping out the contents of the drive? (I don't even have to ask her if she backed things up - I know the answer without asking. )

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give!

(#2) Old
Default Follow up - 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM

OK - found out the wife HAD backed up some of the stuff, so I just want to redo the Hackintosh. So followed the instructions on Gizmodo for doing it. Created the USB drive installer using "NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4" and Snow Leopard. USB Drive creation worked fine. Set up the BIOS of Dell Mini to boot from USB, the computer boots, goes past the Dell logo, the same error about "WakeKey=y" appears, then goes away, and it then prompts for what drive to install Mac OSX onto - either the USB Drive or the internal. I select internal and it starts to load and then crashes with the Mac screen "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again." This is a Mac OSX screen (not Dell) as I've seen this on Macs before. But I can't get past this point. I re-created the USB Drive in case there was a problem on it, and still no go. So now I can't even wipe out the thing and start over. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Oh - the crash screen has several lines of text as well, the top one reads:
"panic(cpu 8 caller 8x2a96e6): "Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/osfml/i386/pmCPU.c:706"
Whatever the heck that means.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

OK - so my brain is dead this AM.

The screen where it showed and allowed you to select from the INTERNAL drive and the USB Drive was NOT where you wanted to install to, but which drive you wanted to boot from. I thought it was for selecting the destination volume since I had already selected boot from USB drive in the BIOS and the computer had already booted from the USB drive.

Installation seems to be proceeding smoothly now.

« 10.6.4 with a few probs | No WiFi or Bluetooth »