Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default ! Service Battery - 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM

I just noticed today that I'm getting a Service Battery warning in my battery drop down on the taskbar.

I had my laptop sitting for a while plugged in like I usually do. Tried taking it out and then reseating it and making sure the tabs were holding it securely. Should I let the battery drain itself all the way and then do a fresh charge to see if it recalibrates itself (I know this is something they recommend you do on real Macbooks.) I've reinstalled Netbook Installer a few times already for an unrelated problem.

Has anyone had issues with the Dell 6-Cell batteries dying on them?
  (#2) Old
Default 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM

I had this issue with a 3 cell, i reran netbook installer, fixed permissions and the warning stopped.
  (#3) Old
Default 03-27-2011, 02:38 PM

Bumping my old thread since rerunning NBI and repairing permissions has not effected the error message.

Dunno if my battery is actually dying (its been working fine since the original post) or what.
  (#4) Old
Default 03-28-2011, 07:53 AM

warning letting the battery die while booted can damage the way bios reads efi and cause problems, there is an automatic cut off when the charge gets low that should avoid it but people have reported 'bricking' while leaving their mini's battery drain while in sleep. it's something to be aware of.

i take my battery out when on ac at home, saves the life a bit or at least that's the myth. sorry can't help you further as i've never had a battery problem.

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51

Last edited by Felixz; 03-28-2011 at 08:02 AM.

« New to 10v Hackintosh: How to Update Drivers? | At wits end »