Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Question A couple of Energy Saver/Audio/Sleep dilemmas. - 08-20-2010, 07:35 PM

I've recently upgraded to 10.6.4 and NBI 20100etc., and I've run into a couple of problems.

First off, I had troubles with the sound not working. But after a couple of restarts and re-runnings of NBI, it appears to be back for good now. Also had some trouble with the battery icon not working, however, trashing the Energy Saving plist file appears to have fixed that.

But the persisting "problem" if you can call it that, involves auto-sleeping and I believe it is related to something with the audio kext.

Clicking on the Sound preference panel, under devices, it shows me names such as, "DevShortNameIn", "DevShortNameOut", and "IntSpeakers". After doing a bit of Googling, it seems to be related to the Audio kext, or perhaps the DSDT file. I had "normal" names before before upgrading to 10.6.4.

Now, this wouldn't be a problem if it was just the names, but I believe this is also preventing my computer from automatically "falling to sleep" after a given period of inactivity.

HOWEVER, there is an upside to this. It seems as if whatever has happened has also fixed the audio "pop" or the missing of short sounds if no sound output has been created for awhile.

Also, there's an option in the Energy Saver preference panel, something along the lines of "Dim Display before Putting it to Sleep". Does this feature work with the 10v, or is it just there for show? I have it checked, but haven't noticed any dimming.

Anybody have any info on these issues?

Thanks in advance,

(#2) Old
Default 08-27-2010, 02:45 PM

I'm starting to notice these issues as well...

I think I'm where you are, I just got it to 10.6.4 and sometimes when I reboot there is no sound, or the battery icon goes away. A reboot usually corrects.

When I started today I had no sound but a battery icon, when I rebooted I got sound back but lost the battery icon. When I go to the batt option and click 'show icon', the area next to my wifi icon actually expands then drops back, but the icon does not go in... weird.

I've yet to notice any other oddity, the machine goes to sleep and comes back ok when I open it back up, although at the moment when I reboot I am getting a message on the initial grey screen in the upper left that my 'hibernation image is old' but then it goes away and OSX starts.

Is it ok to run the NBI multiple times? I don't want to make anything grenade, I've only ran it once since the upgrade to see if my Bluetooth icon would appear after the BT was checked off on the app ... but now I am not sure the machine even has it since I didn't try it windows XP, just saw the Dell icon there in the taskbar.

In my sound prefs it also shows DevShort like yours...

How do you delete the energy saving plist ? I went to that Prefs folder but there was no file for energy or power management there... I could try that and see if mine reacts like yours... (batt icon)

(#3) Old
Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 08-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Energy Saving preference is located in. "Macintosh HD->Library->Preferences->SystemConfiguration->".

I'm not having a problem with sound not appearing now, still have the "Devshortnamein/out" problem though.

Trash that, re-enter your desired settings in Energy Saver and see if you still have the problem.

My understanding is it's okay to re-run NBI multiples times, but I would still try to use it as little as possible to be safe.

You can always pull your palm rest off and check if your 10v has the bluetooth module.

audio, auto sleep, dim display

« Dual Display Not Working SL 10.6.1 | Please help me understand USB Legacy Support »