Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Reverting back to Macbook - 08-06-2010, 08:18 PM

Hello all...

This forum was a great tool when I was trying to turn my Dell 10v into a Mac netbook... and it's worked great throughout my deployment to Iraq. It was great carrying around a smaller computer and still having the ease of using OS X. Thank you to all who helped out with the initial instructions a year ago.

Now that I'm back home, I've got a 13.3" Macbook Pro and am trying to transfer all of my files from my OS X netbook to the Macbook. I've got a complete Time Machine back-up and used the Migration Assistant, but in addition to all of my files, it transfered some of the hackintosh settings, presumably from the EFI. For example, after the migration from the time machine storage, the new computer says the Boot ROM version is still MBA11.00BB.B03 and the Serial Number still says W1234567890.

Short of wiping the Macbook clean and manually transfering each file one-by-one, is there a way to easily revert back to a Macbook after having gone through the hackintosh experience? Has anyone tried doing this before? Any help would be appreciated... thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default 08-07-2010, 12:08 AM

Welcome home state-side! Our son is on the Pakistan/Afghan border and we want to thank you for serving our country. Hopefully some senior experts will respond to your thread. I'm especially interested in your Time Machine backup and how you did this. I'm a new user to osx and built a system like your dell 10v for our daughter on the left coast. I'd like to hear how you migrated the system to the new mac book and also follow the responses you obtain. Thank you!

Mini 10v/1GB RAM/160GB HD/ BIOS A06/SL 10.6.6
Mini 9 /2GB RAM/ 16GB SSD/BIOS A05/SL 10.6.6
OSX Installation via USB & Mac
NBMaker 0.8.4.RC1 / NBI 20100616212351
"Remember to back up your hard earned work with a boot-able disc BEFORE upgrading!"
  (#3) Old
Default 08-07-2010, 03:37 PM

So after three separate installs of OS X, here's what I figured out...

First, the only way to overcome accidentally installing the hackintosh settings is to boot from the OS X disc and open Disk Utility. Selecting the hard drive, choose to partition it with 1 partition... then choose to erase the disc completely. This will overwrite the settings. Then, install OS X. Do not use the time machine backup or migration assistant to import settings the first time you're prompted. Instead, choose not to import anything and create a "dummy" account. Then, restart the computer and log into the dummy account.

From there, go into Utilities/Migration Assistant and import the "User"... I did not import "Applications", "Settings", or "Other Files and Folders". Let it run its course, restart the computer and log into the new user. Then you can go into the system preferences and delete the "dummy" account. In "System Profiler", the EFI version is the correct version and the Serial Number is correct too.

Of course, now I have to manually install all of my old applications, but since I was coming from a netbook... I didn't have too much to start with.

If anyone has any questions, I'll do what I can to answer them. Thanks.
  (#4) Old
Default 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Time machine backup is not a good idea from Dell to MacBook...but migration assistant work fine...especially for applications.

« problems with 10v, want to start afresh | Problem installing starcraft »