Originally Posted by padfootmaclover
hey, i was just wondering if anyone could answer me some questions that i have before i try and install OS X on my netbook. so here goes!
1.Do I really need a retail copy of OS X to install on my dell Mini or could i use a kernel, and if i do need it, could i download it off the internet and install that way because i dont hav a mac myself to write it to another disc
2. Do I need to use usb methods and external hard drives to do this or could i burn and the image to a dvd with a extranl dvd drive and boot that way.
3. Is there a version of this has ilife 09' with it too with Garage band and all that installed with it that i could use if this is succesfull?
4. Finally, if i do get OS X working on the mini but then decide not to keep it could i use the windows 7 starter restore disc that came with the mini to restore it back to that?
Quick feedback would be welcome. thanks!
1. Yes, you need to spend the $29 and buy the Retail disc if you want help on these boards. There are instructions on installing without a Mac.
2. An 8 gig USB drive is enough to do the whole install. There are other methods for using an external USB DVD drive, but the results are spotty.
3. iLife is a separate suite of programs that also includes Garageband. If you are wanting that, you will need to buy it as well.
4. You can always re-install Windows 7 if you want to in the future, or you could do a dual boot. There is a whole Dual Booting section with instructions on loading different OS's.
As far as feedback, most of these questions have been discussed numerous times on these boards, a cursory search would have answered most of them.
Also, any talk of piracy by downloading is not only not encouraged here, it is prohibited. We buy the software we run, even if Apple doesn't like us using it on non-Apple machines.