Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Kernel panic on Install - 07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Solved. Thanks to the post by jamesbarnhill, at Needing help getting 10.6.3 Retail DVD installed on 10v
I just needed the latest NBI image (84 not 83).
If you see the same thing I see in the pictures below, please visit the link above to see the post by jamesbarnhill that will solve your problem if you use the NetbookInstaller 2 guide.

Thanks for having the resources in this forum. I just wish that mechdrew could update his awesome guide, and there was a consolidated "10.6.3 install without Mac" thread with this kind of information.

First of all, I am using mechdrew's guide (NetbookInstaller 2: USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System | Guides | OS X | mechdrew), I am using linux. I followed every step of the guide for linux, but before I even get to the main screen, I get this problem on the screen. I made sure to use -f -v to show all the information once I first saw it so the overlay thing saying "Please Restart blah blah" wasn't covering up the potentially useful information.

(Sorry if the image is large)
This is a Dell Mini 10v(1011), even checked the service tag on Dell support.

I have the real retail disk, which I just got half a week ago. I used dd to copy it to a 32GB flash drive directly, used my 4GB one to boot the bootloader, as provided in mechdrew's guide, and I get this problem. I made sure to downgrade my bios to A04(very noisy downgrade by the way), and then changed the bios settings to what is listed in mechdrew's guide.

Can anyone help me with this?
I looked at all similar threads but they didn't have the info I needed.
I am currently redumping the image right now just in case to try again.

For some reason dumping it back again is only going at a measly 900KB/s now, so I think it is best to leave that drive alone for a while.
So, I tried the disk method(guide 3 ) but that didn't work as I wanted to earlier. So I tried safe mode with -x to do minimal stuff.
gave me this different kernel panic pointing at some power management kext.
(sorry for the big image again)

I am utterly baffled by this, I have no clue how to solve it, I have tried everything with -x(safe/minimal mode?), -v(verbose), and -f(rebuilding the kexts?) and no luck.

This is the disk I picked up in the store, 10.6.3 retail
  (#2) Old
Default 07-29-2010, 01:22 AM

Was having the same problem trying to install 10.6.3 on a 10v - then I realized that 10.6.3 isn't supported very well at this point. If you can, borrow a disk from a friend that is 10.6.0 through 10.6.2. I'm using a friend's 10.5.2 disk to install as we speak. From there, I'll be updating it to 10.6.3 using NBI .8.4RC1 (link below).

NetbookInstaller .8.4RC1

kernel panic, mini 10v, retail install

« WiFi Problem | What is wrong? OSX + dell 10v doesn´t work »