Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Command/Windows key problem on 10.6.3 install - 07-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Hi there

I'm a long-time Mac user, always on Apple machines. I've just done my first Hackintosh (based on a used 10v with 2GB bought on Ebay). I followed this guide:

NetbookInstaller 1: USB Installation via Mac | Guides | OS X | mechdrew

So far, so good. Everything seemed straightforward and the netbook is now started up in SL 10.6.3 (which is the version on the retail disk I purchased). I used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1.

The problem I have is with the keyboard. I assumed that the Windows key thingy (with the wavy windows icon) would be equivalent to the Command (Apple) key. However, this does not seem to be the case; the Windows key seems to do nothing. As a result, I'm missing most of the OSX keyboard commands.

I assume this is not normal with a Mini 10v Hackintosh?

Further investigation shows that the Alt Gr key (no idea what that is?) to the right of the space bar acts as the Command (Apple) key. Not very convenient. I'd like to put this right...

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot. Great forum! (I wouldn't have had the confidence to do this without the expertise available here.)

(#2) Old
Default 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM

windows key is option/alt
alt key is command
  (#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-06-2010, 04:29 PM

What is the Option/Alt key for? I have yet to use the Windows key.
Never having used a Mac before, it took me a bit to figure out the Alt key is the Command key, and it essentially is the equivalent to the Ctrl key in Windows for many keyboard shortcuts, ie, select all, copy, paste.

« Snow Leopard Boot Time | NetbookBootMaker application »