Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Destroyed my machine & emigrating on wednesday - please help! - 06-25-2010, 11:36 PM

I send an urgent plea for help to the community. I have a Mini 10v and have been happily running OSX 10.6.1 for ages. I just tried to upgrade to 10.6.4. To do this, I installed a SleepEnabler suitable for 10.6.4 (found on a google search) using Kext Installer, and I went ahead and used the built in Mac updater. Then - disaster!

My Hackintosh switches on and goes to a Kernel Panic, saying "version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.C:706 and backtracing SleepEnabler.

Worse still, holding shift and using recovery=y does nothing - it leads to the same panic.

I think I may have needed to update and run Netbook Installer. I'm not sure. What can I do to fix this? I have a USB disk containing a time machine backup. I'm experienced with Linux but not Mac and I would be really grateful if someone could tell me how to fix my 10.6.4 (preferably) or if it's not possible, restore from Time Machine USB.

Screenshot attached.

Thanks so much in advance if anyone can help.
Attached Thumbnails
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 06-26-2010, 04:43 AM

I don't know if it's recoverable, the one time I updated OS X with out updating NBI I ended up reinstalling.
Updates are soo much smoother when the NBI is updated.

(#3) Old
Default 06-26-2010, 09:38 AM

OK - thanks. If I start again and reinstall, is it easy to recover things (specifically photos from iphoto) from Time Machine? How would I do that - just plug it in and go back in time?
  (#4) Old
Default 06-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Before reinstalling, you might want to try booting without loading any kernel extensions (seach the forum on what to type/what key to hold after power on, I always forget this one... Freudian denial, I guess )
If that works, remove the killer files manually (google should cough up what has gotten installed, and where).

IF you have to reinstall and a time machine backup is at hand, just have it plugged in after the installer shuts the machine down and boots into the new install the first time.
During the run of the setup assistant (time zone, and the like) you'll be given the opportunity to "migrate" user(s) and more from a time machine volume or other sources. Here, you can select what comes over: your old user(s), applications, network setting, etc.. Do NOT migrate the unspecified other files, because that will bring the desastrous SleepEnabler with it...

10.6.4, hackintosh, kernel panic

« All the problems you are having... | Preparing for my first attempt - questions »