Durrrr. Thanks Soho
Just the display issue now. I'm going to keep hunting, and I'll post if I find a solution.
---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------
UPDATE: I actually got it working. Here's how:
1) Install SysResX. This is a shareware tool that lets you play with display settings.
2) Add a 1024x600 display mode in SysResX and select it.
3) Reboot. At least for me, SysResX trashed my screen, but just before it did, I saw the native 1024x600 running in OSX! Sweet sweet almost-victory.
4) Cleverly navigate without your mouse (my cursor disappeared due to SysResX) to uninstall SysResX.
5) Reboot again. Voila! Working desktop at the correct resolution. It appears that the problem had to do with OSX not detecting the correct graphics or display driver, since after I rebooted, I had resolutions ONLY up to 1024x600. Also, some of the graphics options in System Profiler disappeared.