Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Install OSx on hard drive while in enclosure before putting back into Mini 10v - 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM

I am hopeless on getting Mac OSx running on the 10v after about 12 hours of reading and trying and everything it still won't boot. My question is can I take the hard drive out, put it in an enclosure, reformat and install Leopard on it using my mac then install it back into the mini 10v? If that will work that's what I'm going to do. Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 12:51 AM

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but did you try another brand USB stick? I ran a virtual machine version of OS X 10.5.5 and ran NetbookBootMaker in that and then copied a Mac OS X version SL 10.6.1 DVD to an HP 8 gig thumb drive. I printed out and followed a guide off the internet exactly and it worked first time, perfectly. If you need the guide I could look it up for you and give you the web address. Other than that I really don't know why you can't boot off the thumb drive on your DellMini.
  (#3) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 01:09 AM

That will work, if you do it right! Here is an older guide to this method, it will give you an idea of what you need to do. You may need to clarify some steps as NBI and NBM have changed a little over the months.

How to setup Snow Leopard on mini 10v with A06 BIOS

Dell Mini 10v | 1GB Ram | BIOS A06>A04 | NBI 20100616212351 | 160GB HHD | 10.6.4
  (#4) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 01:31 AM

I am going to try that method out. I don't have a thumbdrive so I am using a CompactFlash card that was reformatted and everything in a card reader. It shows up on my mac as the Mac OSx install and everything so I know it is working.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

What if my mac won't recognize the hard drive that came out of the mini 10v?
  (#5) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 05:43 AM

SO I thought I had it all working, I put it in an external enclosure installed mac onto it ran all the updates then installed and ran Netbook Bootmaker 0.8.3 rc5 and did that to the drive then shut it down and plugged it into my Dell Mini...Apple logo popped right up for about 5 seconds then that stupid "HOLD POWER BUTTON TO SHUTOFF" warning came up and I'm stuck again...So many people do this and I don't understand how I can't get it to work, I'm not a moron I promise haha Any other ideas?
  (#6) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 01:40 PM

What SL version is it? I know there's been issues with trying to install 10.6.3 directly. You might have better luck with an older version and then update.

cheers.

O.
  (#7) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Hey Oscar, it is Mac OSX 10.6 and I updated it from there after the install
  (#8) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 09:28 PM

I remembered I got a kernel panic after a recent install/ update through software update. But I think I didn't give NBI enough time to do its thing after reboot.

Have you read through this thread? : **OFFICIAL** Mac OSX 10.6.3 Update Thread , there's 'success' posts dated as late as yesterday. So ppl there are figuring things out. (I'd start out with the first post though. It has all the links for all the up to date utilities.)

I'd like to be more helpful... I might run through this install again to see if I can get it to work. I have a back up image of a working setup, so when I got the kernel panic, I just used that, and didn't get a chance to try to fix it.

cheers.

O.
  (#9) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM

thanks Oscar, thats mainly what I needed was just a more up to date guide. I am about to reformat the drive and start from scratch.
  (#10) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 06:07 PM

so everything was looking great. I had leopard 10.6 running on there and ran the Netbook Installer 0.8.4 rc1 after already doing the Netbook Bootmaker 0.8.4 rc1 to the USB drive just to be more safe than sorry, downloaded all the updates, it went to install them and said sorry not all the updates could be installed so it reboot and the leopard wallpaper but no icons came up and it kept changing from my mouse pointer to the rainbow wheel and wouldn't boot completely. Reformatting and trying again...wow this is a pain

« Software updates after fresh install of 10.6 on 10V? | Dell 1010 osx86 »