Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#11) Old
Default 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM

Ok.. I got this to work this morning. here's my setup:

10v, A06 BIOS, Netbook Installer 0.8.4 rc1, Netbook Bootmaker 0.8.4 rc1.
Retail SL 10.6

Upgrade procedure: download the dmgs from apple website, DO NOT use software update as the 10.6.3 combo update will cause a kernel panic.

1. start with 10.6.2 combo update- Mac OS X v10.6.2 Update (Combo)
make sure you allow a full reboot, NBI will run at this point and it'll take some time for SL to start back up.

2. do the security update in between.- Security Update 2010-001 (Snow Leopard) --really, i think you could actually skip this step, but this is exactly what i did.

3. do the 10.6.3 update- Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update.
again, allow NBI to do its thing at reboot... it'll take a while, but it'll boot.

run the security updates from apple website that apply to 6.3
and you're done.

at this point you can run software update for minor updates, and other software updates; itunes, java etc.

today they just released 10.6.4 (don't try this one, no one's got it to work yet)
a new adventure....

cheers.. I hope this will get you a bootable machine.

(#12) Old
Default 06-18-2010, 04:21 AM

Hey Oscar,

So right now I am running 10.6 on my mini as we speak. I used NBM to install it and it is running fine. I just want to be 100% sure so I have to ask simple questions. What is the first step from there? Do I need to install and run NBI 0.8.4 rc1 on it and then download and install 10.6.2 before going to 10.6.3? I won't update using software update to 10.6.4 yet though. Thanks so much for all your help. I just can't take starting over again after two prior attempts haha thanks
  (#13) Old
Default 06-18-2010, 06:19 AM

As long as you have a working install of 10.6, you're set to go with the steps in my last post. The links in each step are the very files I used. Everything should work just fine. I used those particular files because that's how it was set up in Software Update when I originally installed SL. And at the time, Software Update did it in steps, rather than the combo update to 10.6.3--which I later found out caused a kernel panic. So, as long as 10.6 is running, you're ready for the 10.6.2 combo in step 1 above. Follow step 2 and 3, using the files linked, and all should go well.. It did w/ me.

having said that, in your spot, having gone through so much trouble, I would back up the working 10.6 install so I could restore the system from that rather than go through a fresh install (as it takes about a fourth, maybe a third of the time).

to do so: you will need an external usb harddrive. (alternately, you can set up a second partition on your mini's harddrive).

1. startup using your install usb stick. Once you've booted up, connect your external drive.
2. Open Disk Utility (Utilities/Disk Utility).
3. In Disk Utility, select (highlight) Macintosh HD.
4. go to File / New> disk image from "Macintosh HD." No need to change the options.
5. Save to your external drive.

and if you have to restore from this backup image:
startup with your install usb stick, connect your external drive, open disk utility, go to: Images/ Scan Image for restore-- locate your backup image and scan. when scanning is complete, select the restore tab, drag the image into the 'source' area, and your mini's 'Macintosh HD' into the 'destination' area. Leave 'erase destination' checked.

if you're familiar with disk utility, this will all be familiar to you. If not, just run disk utility before you do anything else, and just poke around the different tabs, and file menues in order to familiarize yourself with what i'm referring to here.

anyhoot... best of luck.

BTW... hopefully you'll get it all running.. if you do, remember to back up the working install in case something goes wrong later on, that way you'll be able to skip all the update stuff.

« Software updates after fresh install of 10.6 on 10V? | Dell 1010 osx86 »