Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Install stuck at the grey apple screen - 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM

I have two Dell Mini 10v systems both suffer from the same issue...

Here's a bit of background. Both systems were installed last year and were running 10.5.x (some variant). Both systems were running fine and then all of a sudden both failed in the same way. The system would not boot and it was discovered that they both had drive failures and were suffering from an invalid node structure. Unfortunately the only way to fix that is to reformat the disk..

So, after grabbing as much data as I could, both disks were plugged in and reformatted.

Now, I have to go through the install again. I'm basically following the 10.6.x instructions for the 10.5.x install since it appears I'm a hybrid between the two.

I create the USB drive following the instructions and then run the NetBookInstaller/Maker (whichever one you use to prep the USB drive). The system sees and boots from the USB but it basically just sits at the grey apple screen and spins.. and spins.. and spins.. forever.

Both systems suffer the same exact failure. There doesn't appear to be a way to boot verbosely during install or I'm just not fast enough to hit the -v in time.

If anyone has any suggestions or has suffered the same circumstances I would appreciate a pointer. I've read through the forums looking for grey screen but nothing much appeared that was helpful.

grey, hung, install

« Installation aborts again and again.... | Nuts! 0.8.4 RC1 causing kernel panic in my 10v A06...? »