Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Bios issue: Only allows booting from HDD - 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM

Just got a Dell Mini 10v by mail last week. Came with Bios Version A00, since it came without any OS, did not do any Bios upgrade.

Only had a chance to buy the original SL DVD yesterday, 10.6.3, and a bigger 500 HDD.

During the weekend, played a bit with the SL DVD 10.6.0 burnt from an image file that I got from a friend. Followed the guides, USB stick & NBM 0.8.4 RC1, installed fine, everything working. Again, following the available guides, upgraded to 10.6.1, 10.6.2, while getting installation error messages, still everything was working. With 10.6.3, got blue screen, game over. Repeated the whole process 3 times, always same outcome. Guess the 10.6.0 image file was defective.

No big deal anyway, since I was planning to upgrade HDD and get the original DVD from the Apple dealer.

Replaced the HDD, installed with USB stick with the 10.6.3 disc, almost everything is fine straightaway, except that I can't toggle Bluetooth on/off, it's always on. Off only through BIOS.

Got a new 10.6.0 disc and wanted to try my luck again, by installing on an external HDD, actually the original one that came with the machine. This is when I realized that my computer only allows booting from the internal HDD (there is a plus sign in front of HDD in the BIOS). Enabling Legacy USB support in Bios gave me a plus sign also for USB storage on the boot list, but no use. The stick is bootable 100% sure, but still, no go. If I disable boot from internal HDD, no boot at all.

Not sure how I can solve this BIOS issue. Flashing and/or upgrading it? How can I do this if the machine wont boot from anything else but the HDD.

While this is not an immediate problem, I mean, I have almost a 100% working machine right now. But should in the future my HDD fail, can't see how I can re-install my software.

Did a lot of reading in the forum already, could not find the solution.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

Dell Mini 10v | installed from USB stick from Retail DVD Mac OS X 10.6.3 & NBM 0.8.4RC1, NBI 0.8.4RC1 | N270 | 1 GB RAM | 500 GB HDD | BIOS A00 | BT always on (grey on/off toggle)

« Bluetooth is always on | Am I effed? »