Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old
Default Using Audio In with Snow Leopard? - 06-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Now "resolved" (see end post) left for those who may wonder this also

Recently purchased a mini 10v and successfully made it single boot with Snow Leopard using netbook installer etc. Now running 10.6.3 and all seems good.

Sound is working fine to an extent. Internal mic and speakers are good and so is audio output. However having problems with audio input. It is fine recording from a microphone but not something that is line level such as an ipod or a mixing desk. I know it is not that the levels are too high on these devices as I'm a sound engineer and have tested with another machine. What this suggests to me is that the audio in on the mini 10v is at mic level (add 4db to everything) and I want to record at line level (takes 10db off) meaning when I try and record my sound is distorted and constantly clipping, even with the line in turned all the way down in system preferences. Is there a way to reduce the recording level via and application or some way to send a terminal command to the machine telling it to change to line level?

Thanks in advance and not expecting many replies as i'm aware this is quite an intricate/technical question!

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Okay after a bit of research Dell say the input of this machine is microphone-in as I assumed meaning when a line is plugged in it is too loud. When this machine is in an OS supported by Dell though you can change it to be line in meaning that capability is their we just need to figure out how to change it in OSX. Hope this helps with our investigations! If nothing can be done I can buy a line level RCA interface but I'd rather not have to if possible for portability!
  (#2) Old
Default 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM

Have been researching both Dell and Apple. This laptop has a microphone in port, not a line in, some have a combination one, this is only mic meaning there is no way round it short of opening the thing up and changing it - which with it not being an actual sound card would be a bad idea! Instead for around £30 I purchased a line in interface (phone) that works great and actual gives better sound quality (well the numbers suggest that). Will leave this on here incase others wonder the same thing but appears it can't be done guys

Red Dog Music | Buy Numark Stereo iO Analog-To-Digital DJ Interface is the one I brought, many others out there!
  (#3) Old
Default Excellant item - 07-24-2010, 05:51 AM

Thanks Kitfisdu,
Ordered one from Amazon, $35 including shipping!

sound audio line in mic

« mac os ox install halted at netbookcd!!!!!! | Tried installing, no longer boots... »